Aye Write 2023: Bringing Down Goliath Jo Maugham
Saturday 20 May, 2023 4.15 – 5.15 p.m.
Bringing Down Goliath: How Good Law Can Topple The Powerful is a revealing, empowering vision of how the law can work better for all of us, from Jolyon Maugham KC, founder of Good Law Project.
Our legal system often feels like it only works for the rich and powerful – for those who have the means to use the courts to enforce their will and defend their interests. Jolyon Maugham believes we can fight back.
Jolyon Maugham KC founded Good Law Project in 2017 with the belief that the law can also put power into the hands of ordinary people. It has brought a series of landmark cases against the UK Government and won widespread acclaim in successfully reversing Boris Johnson’s unlawful suspension of Parliament. Already the largest legal campaign group in the UK, Good Law Project is shining light into corners the establishment would rather keep dark – from the failures of Brexit to the still-developing PPE scandal, to the tax arrangements of business giants like Uber.
In Bringing Down Goliath, Jolyon Maugham shares his inspiration and his purpose, and he reveals the story behind these landmark cases and the hidden fault lines of our judicial system. He offers an empowering, bold new vision for how the law can work better for all of us in the fight against injustice.
Glasgow Royal Concert Hall, 2 Sauchiehall Street, G2 3NY
This section: Aye Write 2023, Books, Talks, Poetry and Creative Writing Events
- Seeing Glasgow: An Artist’s View – Avril Patron
- Ajay Close Creative Conversations
- Maria Fusco – Creative Conversations
- Books at the Green with Chris Dolan
- Creative Conversations: Donna McLean
- Fundraiser for Medicin Sans Frontieres
- Creative Conversations, University of Glasgow
- From Glasgow to Saturn #51
- Poor Things Screening plus Alasdair Gray Archive Q&A + Exhibition
- Filmmaking with Kevin Macdonald at Glasgow Film Festival 2024
- Gray Day 2024
- Alasdair Gray Archive – Free Tours
- Scottish Writers Centre Speakeasy – Fooers fae the fillin station #2
- Books at the Botanics
- Creative Conversations: Jim Carruth
- Close Range Coulport – poem by Finola Scott
- Peace Poetry Night
- Glasgow Literary and Music Lounge at The Scotia Bar
- Tom Murray Book Launch – Scottish Writers
- Joe Murray: Book Launch ‘Walking on Scoraig’