André Krengel & Roland Krause, Websters Theatre
11 May, 2019 7.30 p.m.
The guitar duo of André Krengel & Roland Krause combines a rousing mixture of different musical genres: melodies and grooves from the worlds of jazz, swing, Flamenco, blues, pop & funk and Latin America, their compositions blending into a harmonious whole. With boisterous energy and passion André and Roland perform their repertoire, comprising original compositions as well as surprising adaptations of many well-known pieces.
At the same time the two virtuosi allow a great deal of room for spontaneous interaction and improvisation. Each piece in the repertoire tells its own story or has its own little anecdote, tracing the paths and world-wide adventures of these two highly musical travel enthusiasts.
André and Roland met first about 20 years ago in 1997 and their travels together took them through Europe and on to Miami, Florida performing in festivals, jazz clubs and art centres and galleries. In 1999 they each went their separate ways from Florida.
André joined an American band “The Orphans” and toured the USA before returning to Europe, first to Barcelona before coming home to Germany to become one of the most sought-after guitarists there.
André‘s tours take him around the world – in 2015/2016 he played almost 100 international guitar night concerts in the US, Canada, UK, Poland, Germany, Italy and Austria. He received cultural awards and worked with world-class artists such as Carles Benavent, Domingo Patricio, Rod Stewart, Rafael Cortes, to name but a few.
In 2016, André toured England and Scotland, Moldova and Bulgaria with the Lulo Reinhardt and André Krengel Quartet.
Meanwhile, after leaving Florida, Roland spent some time in sunny California, then travelled on to Central America, Mexico, the Caribbean and Spain. He also went to Asia, where he spent many years performing in clubs, luxury hotels and resorts and undertook projects with musicians like Ber Ortoli (Les Negresses Vertes) and various Mexican Mariachis and gypsy swing guitarists such as the Frenchman Jean Marc Sum.
Now, reunited again since 2016, Andre and Roland interact as an exciting duo exuding their sheer, brilliant joie de vivre, looking back on their many common adventures and eager to find out what the future holds in store for them.
Join Andre and Roland on their musical travels and allow yourself to fall under their spell!
The Guardian describes Andre as, ” … a traveller between styles & cultures. A guitar wizard with magic hands, retaining his identity & unique talent in a fusion of musical influences, such is his virtuosity and versatility together with his sense of musical dynamics & soft sounds.”
The Andre Krengel & Roland Krause guitar duo – The Raz Duo – combines a rousing mixture of different music from the worlds of Jazz, Swing, Flamenco, Blues, Pop & Latin American and their compositions blend into harmonious whole. They perform original compositions and surprising adaptations of many well-known pieces with a boisterous energy & passion.
£12 Book tickets
Websters, 416 Great Western Road, Glasgow G4 9HZ
This section: Gig Guide plus Club Events
Filed under: Gig Guide plus Club Events
- Cottiers – Bar, Restaurant, Theatre, Glasgow West End
- Howlin’ Radio at Finsbay Glasgow West End
- Seven Song Club The Tron Duncan McCrone
- Pete Case and Sid Griffin, Nice n Sleazy
- Country Funk Fridays – Reopening Tennent’s Bar Basement
- Evening of Stories and Songs with Kirstin Innes and Outi Smith
- Lavinia Blackwall & Stilton, Lynnie Carson & The Hawking Gimmiks
- The Muse at the Playhouse with Linda Jaxson
- Thank Funk It’s Valentine’s Day
- Celtic Connections 2020 Auld Lang Syne Concert review and photos Pauline Keightley
- Luca Manning & Fergus McCreadie Celtic Connections
- Celtic Connections & Fallen Angels Club: Danni Nicholls
- Isobel Campbell Isobel Campbell with Hannah Fisher & Sorren Maclean and Nina Violet Celtic Connections
- Celtic Connections: SHHE SHHE + GRISLY FAYE Hug and Pint
- Rachael Dadd, The Glad Cafe Celtic Connections
- The Wandering Hearts and Zoe Graham, Celtic Connections
- Celtic Connections 2020 – Fionnuala Boyle
- Americana City Halls, Celtic Connections 2020
- Breabach @15 Celtic Connections 2020
- Grit Orchestra Opening Concert Celtic Connections 2020