A Celebration of Nina Simone, 21 March, Royal Concert Hall
Saturday 21 March 2015, 7.30pm
Glasgow Royal Concert Hall, Strathclyde Suite
In 1990, in a big top tent on Glasgow Green, Nina Simone played a blinding set as part of Mayfest. A young singer called Warren McIntyre was in the audience that night and invited on- stage to dance with her. As a major fan this was a life changing experience and – although a successful songwriter in his own right – 25 years later he is celebrating these songs, at what will be an amazing event for Nina fans.
With help from Belle and Sebastian’s Stevie Jackson as band leader playing guitar and harmonica this is a must see show featuring a selection of top players including maestro: Allen Chalmers (piano), Adam Scott (bass guitar), Heather Wellcoat (violin), Iain Stoddard (drums) John Rooney (guitar) and Therese Martin (harmony vocals).
Warren is keen for this to be an interactive event, however, and if anyone has a special Nina Simone song they would like played on the night, and a dedication made to them or a loved one, they should get in touch by e-mail: email@example.com
Do You Have a Photogaph of Warren?
Also, on the night that he danced with Nina there were three different people who took a photograph of them dancing together and Warren has always wanted to track down one of these photos.
If you were one of these people, and are willing to share a copy of one of the photos, then you and friend will be given free tickets for the show, a bottle of champagne and be able to meet the band before the show at the sound check.
This section: Gig Guide plus Club Events
Filed under: Gig Guide plus Club Events
- Christmas Carousel The Platform
- Future Glue Christmas Party
- The Sensational Alex Harvey Experience Christmas & New Year Party
- Kirsteen Harvey Live, Cottiers
- Sounds in the Suburbs presents Leventime: A Celebration of Jackie Leven
- Glasgow Hospitals Christmas Concert 2019 Royal Concert Hall
- Irish fiddle player Michael Gorman Cd launch and Concert to celebrate his Glasgow connection
- Martin Stephenson & The Daintees OranMor
- Cottiers has Talent this Christmas
- A Very Buble Christmas at Cottiers
- Cottiers – Bar, Restaurant, Theatre, Glasgow West End
- SongWriters Uncovered Series 2019
- Fairytale of Glasgow
- Birds of Chicago The Doublet Glasgow
- Scottish Writers’ Centre From bytes to bestseller with Jonathan Whitelaw
- Guttersnipe at the Old Hairdressers
- One Night at The Disco, Riverside Museum
- The Long Ryders at OranMor
- Maria Doyle Kennedy, Cottiers
- Hang Massive at OranMor, Glasgow