Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Sign in to follow this  
Pat

No Superfast Broadband for Glasgow

Ten UK cities have been successful in their bid for the government's spending on superfast broadband. Sadly, Glasgow failed in its bid with its bid being considered flawed. Not being super-connected is going to be a serious drawback for business and education.

Edinburgh's bid was successful and the capital will:"receive £8m to £11m for the work, which could give more than 90% of residents and businesses access to high speed broadband by 2015, with free public Wi-Fi zones also to be created in parts of the city."

http://news.stv.tv/scotland/west-central/301271-glasgow-misses-out-on-ultra-fast-broadband/

I am so angry about this. It is a totally ludicrous notion that cities bid for this money. Such a service is integral to growth and should be based on strategic planning, benefits and need. In the 21st century access to the internet is part of life. Will Westminster be asking for bids for access to water?

This seems total madness... and just a little bit spiteful? :angry: The first comment says it all.... third largest city in the UK. It just doesn't make sense.

This seems total madness... and just a little bit spiteful? :angry: The first comment says it all.... third largest city in the UK. It just doesn't make sense.

It seems like madness to me to, harper. Something so crucial to the economy should not be left up to who makes the best bid. The whole notion is totally ludicrous. You don't get the buzz words right and you loose out. That's a fine way to run a country. Maybe they should just have had a raffle. :rolleyes:

£8-£10 million is money that could be found from other budgets; I am sure Glasgow will get this funded somehow. There was no way Scotloand was getting more than one city approved.

I thought in a so called independent Scotland that everyone would have access to super fast broadband along with pie in BSBSky.

Meanwhile Drumchapel residents are lobby Our Smug Leader to persuade him to kissass another Multimillionaire and persuade Richard Branson to upgrade their cable system so they can get fast broadband. Virgin's latest offer of up to 30mb comes with the proviso except for viewers in G15.

I thought in a so called independent Scotland that everyone would have access to super fast broadband along with pie in BSBSky.

Meanwhile Drumchapel residents are lobby Our Smug Leader to persuade him to kissass another Multimillionaire and persuade Richard Branson to upgrade their cable system so they can get fast broadband. Virgin's latest offer of up to 30mb comes with the proviso except for viewers in G15.

give it a rest dex..your starting to sound like a troll..

is your only topic wee eck?...old spurned advance was it? :lol:

we are not independent YET...

would you prefer him to leave us in the dark ages or would you want him to try n get us faster/better services?

your complaining about some one trying to help a community for god sake...a community that is asking for help!!...what would you have him do?..ignore them like what labour and the tories have done for years?

i think not.

i agree with sam...they will find the money from somewhere to fix up Glasgow the same way the scots gov have saved loads of services that have been culled down south

outrageous that we didnt get it in the 1st place tho

give it a rest dex..your starting to sound like a troll..

is your only topic wee eck?...old spurned advance was it? :lol:

we are not independent YET...

would you prefer him to leave us in the dark ages or would you want him to try n get us faster/better services?

your complaining about some one trying to help a community for god sake...a community that is asking for help!!...what would you have him do?..ignore them like what labour and the tories have done for years?

i think not.

i agree with sam...they will find the money from somewhere to fix up Glasgow the same way the scots gov have saved loads of services that have been culled down south

outrageous that we didnt get it in the 1st place tho

I hope they find the money Tig. The idea that Glasgow's bid failed seems to raise the issue of the c0ompetence of those who prepared the bid. I think that the issue of broadband effects so many people and is so crucial to the economy, education and the quality of life of our citizens that this should be a strategic issue. Why did cities have to bid and who decided that this was the best approach?

Surely to Gawd in Unionist Scotland you would want everyone to have access to superfast broadband?

I see labour and its apologists in Scotland have given up any semblance of winning the debate (ON ANY SUBJECT) and have settled for name calling.

Surely to Gawd in Unionist Scotland you would want everyone to have access to superfast broadband?

Definitely, samsc. They might pick up some tips from these folk: http://www.rhbmesh.net/