• Please log in to reply
278 replies to this topic

#121 Pat

Pat

Sitting on my favourite seat

• Root Admin
  • 19,633 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 10:49 PM

I watched a film the other night called "Another Earth".
Ill not give the script away but it thought it was one of the best films ive seen in a while...although not really aimed at kids my son was glued to it and never said a word all the way through it (a first)
I dont know if its out in the cinema here but if you find it online or something id definitely recommend it.

Will watch out for that one, tig.

This week the French Film Festival hits town.
http://www.glasgowwe...anutcinema.html

Also Wuthering Heights. I quite fancy it.
This is me since yistirday.

#122 harper

harper

Joined the family

• Administrators
  • 5,917 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 11:48 PM

Oh me too. I could quite fancy scootching up with you, Wills and the gang with a big box of popcord.

Right you guys, start practicing yur wafting .... :lol:

Kate Bush, what a babe ... ;)
Glasgow Zen: On the oneness of self and the universe: It's aw wan tae me!

#123 Pat

Pat

• Root Admin
  • 19,633 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 11:43 PM

Oh me too. I could quite fancy scootching up with you, Wills and the gang with a big box of popcord.

Right you guys, start practicing yur wafting .... :lol:

Kate Bush, what a babe ... ;)

Wafting. :lol: Great idea.

Schooch up by all means. You'll be more than welcome. :)

#124 Pat

Pat

• Root Admin
  • 19,633 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 09:15 PM

I went with Ryan to see Arthur Christmas, not one for the grown ups, and I'm not the most grown up. :lol: I had a nice wee doze. Wuthering Heights was on next door. :rolleyes:

#125 tig

tig

Staying for dinner

• Members
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 10:06 PM

I went with Ryan to see Arthur Christmas, not one for the grown ups, and I'm not the most grown up. :lol: I had a nice wee doze. Wuthering Heights was on next door. :rolleyes:

Haha
...I had a great nap during spy kids 4 last week
gfumph

#126 Pat

Pat

• Root Admin
  • 19,633 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 08:04 PM

Haha
...I had a great nap during spy kids 4 last week

:lol: Easy done, tig.

I couldn't wait for harper to hit town so went along to see Wuthering Heights yesterday without her. I didn't doze off, although, it is very long and slow in parts.

Beautiful cinematogrophy, lots of heavy rain (just like outside at the moment), violence and passion. The wee dogs didn't fare too well. Expect depression. I guess that's what the story is about. And heartbreak, of course.

#127 harper

harper

Joined the family

• Administrators
  • 5,917 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 10:16 PM

I got dragged along to see Eclipse - the latest film in the Twilight Saga.

What a pile of rubbish and the bow wow, pow wow made me hoot with laughter .... :lol:

Complete and utter rubbish.

In the midst of this Winter gloom, I think I might give Withering Heights a miss 'till Spring ...:lol:

#128 Canny Lass

Canny Lass

Staying for dinner

• Members
  • 627 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 03:10 PM

I got dragged along to see Eclipse - the latest film in the Twilight Saga.

What a pile of rubbish and the bow wow, pow wow made me hoot with laughter .... :lol:

Complete and utter rubbish.

In the midst of this Winter gloom, I think I might give Withering Heights a miss 'till Spring ...:lol:

I'll be skipping Wuthering Heights as well. I went to see The Help and hard to believe that the Civll Rights Movement in USA. I thought the film was pretty good and an opportunity for female actors to hog the show, Emma Stone, Octavia Spencer) and Viola Davis.

#129 Pat

Pat

• Root Admin
  • 19,633 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 11:53 AM

We went to see Puss in Boots and I loved it. It was made all the more enjoyable because we had seen Antonio Banderas and Salma Hayek on Graham Norton's chat show and they were very vibrant and engaging. A cartoon that both the big ones and the weans can enjoy.

I fancy this, although, busy week ahead:

Warm musical triumph: Meet Me in St Louis

Monday 19 - Wednesday 21 December GFT

A family in St Louis at the turn of the 20th century have to decide whether or not to move to New York when Dad gets a promotion. This modest premise was developed by director Vincente Minnelli into one of the greatest musicals in Hollywood history, full of fantastic sets, fantastic costumes and fantastic tunes - who can forget Judy Garland swaying with a pack of colourful passengers as she belts out 'The Trolley Song' ('Zing zing zing went my heartstrings...')?

Lots of great films in town for Christmas including The Muppet Christmas Carol, tomorrow Southside Film Festival people over at The Shed.

http://www.glasgowwe...anutcinema.html

#130 harper

harper

Joined the family

• Administrators
  • 5,917 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 08:22 PM

Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

This English-language adaptation of the Swedish novel by Stieg Larsson follows a disgraced journalist, Mikael Blomkvist (Daniel Craig), as he investigates the disappearance of a wealthy patriarch's niece from 40 years ago. He is aided by the pierced, tattooed, punk computer hacker named Lisbeth Salander (Rooney Mara). As they work together in the investigation, Blomkvist and Salander uncover immense corruption beyond anything they have ever imagined.

Great movie, quite violent and graphic but beautiful cinematography.

Great cast; Christopher Plumber, Geraldene McKeown and Joely Richardson, to name a few ...

***** 9/10

#131 Pat

Pat

• Root Admin
  • 19,633 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 08:51 PM

Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

This English-language adaptation of the Swedish novel by Stieg Larsson follows a disgraced journalist, Mikael Blomkvist (Daniel Craig), as he investigates the disappearance of a wealthy patriarch's niece from 40 years ago. He is aided by the pierced, tattooed, punk computer hacker named Lisbeth Salander (Rooney Mara). As they work together in the investigation, Blomkvist and Salander uncover immense corruption beyond anything they have ever imagined.

Great movie, quite violent and graphic but beautiful cinematography.

Great cast; Christopher Plumber, Geraldene McKeown and Joely Richardson, to name a few ...

***** 9/10

Sounds good, harper. The books are fabulous.

We went to see Sherlock. Robert Downey Jnr and Jude Law are both very good but the plot is a bit slender and confusing.

Would probably have been better making your choice.

#132 rory

rory

Visiting for tea often

• Members
  • 490 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 05:00 PM

Sounds good, harper. The books are fabulous.

We went to see Sherlock. Robert Downey Jnr and Jude Law are both very good but the plot is a bit slender and confusing.

Would probably have been better making your choice.

I would like to see The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo but first on my list is The Artist. If I get half a chance I will go along as I go back to work next week.

#133 harper

harper

Joined the family

• Administrators
  • 5,917 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 11:07 PM

The Artist is on my list for this weekend, tig..

The Iron Lady

I had really mixed feelings about seeing the Iron Lady but went along in the end thinking it would be great pelt the screen with insults. :angry: Actually, it's grim and the protrayal of a frail, elderly woman with dementia is actually quite difficult to watch. I don't think it's a great movie and I am not sure what the point of it is. Before the film started the audience was restless and well up for a major boooo fest but actually, even during scenes of the poll tax riots, the miners strike and the sinking of the Belgrano, people were very silent. I hated it that I came out of this film softened to the plight of an frail elderly lady who just happens to be Margaret Thatcher. I think that was because I didn't see any resemblence to the horror story that was the real Thatcher. Meryl Streep's protrayal of the aging Thatcher was a much more convincing perfomance than her protrayal of Thatcher at the height of her power. At these points I thought her perfomance was more akin to an impression of Jennifer Saunders and half expected her to break into a sweetie darling moment. I expected to hate this film and I did but not for the reasons I thought I would.... if that makes sense.

#134 Pat

Pat

• Root Admin
  • 19,633 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 09:26 PM

The Artist is on my list for this weekend, tig..

The Iron Lady

I had really mixed feelings about seeing the Iron Lady but went along in the end thinking it would be great pelt the screen with insults. :angry: Actually, it's grim and the protrayal of a frail, elderly woman with dementia is actually quite difficult to watch. I don't think it's a great movie and I am not sure what the point of it is. Before the film started the audience was restless and well up for a major boooo fest but actually, even during scenes of the poll tax riots, the miners strike and the sinking of the Belgrano, people were very silent. I hated it that I came out of this film softened to the plight of an frail elderly lady who just happens to be Margaret Thatcher. I think that was because I didn't see any resemblence to the horror story that was the real Thatcher. Meryl Streep's protrayal of the aging Thatcher was a much more convincing perfomance than her protrayal of Thatcher at the height of her power. At these points I thought her perfomance was more akin to an impression of Jennifer Saunders and half expected her to break into a sweetie darling moment. I expected to hate this film and I did but not for the reasons I thought I would.... if that makes sense.

It makes sense, harper. I don't fancy it. It'll soon be the launch of Glasgow Film Festival. I better do some work on that. :rolleyes:

#135 Pat

Pat

• Root Admin
  • 19,633 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 08:56 PM

Just back from seeing The Descendants with George Clooney, brilliant as ever and well supported by Shailene Woodley and
Amara Miller, who play his kids.

Super story, great setting, lovely music - happy and sad. Don't miss it.

#136 harper

harper

Joined the family

• Administrators
  • 5,917 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 07:46 AM

The Decendants has been described as pathos in paradise. The pathos was there in bucketloads but personally, the paradise looked more like a living nightmare to me. I think there was something meaningful about the juxtaposition of the landscapes but that got kinda lost on me and Iwithout giving too much away), the whole family trust thing was a big yawn - no great sacrifice there... :lol:

I liked the film more than I disliked it but I didn't like is as much as anyone else I've spoken to. :lol: That said, I think George Clooney is growing into a stonkingly good actor and he is certainly picking better scripts these days. The scene in the rowing boat and the closing scene made the film for me and I think this is where Clooney really came into hs own. These scenes were beautifully contructed and the performance delivered by the three actors was sublime. I like Alexander Payne's work and loved Sideways. Did it deserve an Oscar nomination? IMV, Naw... :lol:

#137 Pat

Pat

• Root Admin
  • 19,633 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 11:02 AM

The Decendants has been described as pathos in paradise. The pathos was there in bucketloads but personally, the paradise looked more like a living nightmare to me. I think there was something meaningful about the juxtaposition of the landscapes but that got kinda lost on me and Iwithout giving too much away), the whole family trust thing was a big yawn - no great sacrifice there... :lol:

I liked the film more than I disliked it but I didn't like is as much as anyone else I've spoken to. :lol: That said, I think George Clooney is growing into a stonkingly good actor and he is certainly picking better scripts these days. The scene in the rowing boat and the closing scene made the film for me and I think this is where Clooney really came into hs own. These scenes were beautifully contructed and the performance delivered by the three actors was sublime. I like Alexander Payne's work and loved Sideways. Did it deserve an Oscar nomination? IMV, Naw... :lol:

The last scene was wonderful and memorable. One of the other scenes that I thought was very effective was him running in his flip flops. Great build up to the confrontation that followed and great acting.

Downtown Hawaii didn't look too hot but after the film I kept thinking how lovely it would be to spend some time in the sunshine, on the land that the descendants owned.

We all loved it.

#138 tig

tig

Staying for dinner

• Members
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 02:03 PM

Real steel is a surprisingly good movie....best "feel good" I've seen in a while and great for kids.

Don't think I'll watch the Thatcher film as my allergy to her face makes me hiss
gfumph

#139 Pat

Pat

• Root Admin
  • 19,633 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 02:11 PM

Real steel is a surprisingly good movie....best "feel good" I've seen in a while and great for kids.

Don't think I'll watch the Thatcher film as my allergy to her face makes me hiss

Our wee kids are all highly excited about the new Muppets film.

Some a bit different:

Japan: Land for Hope

3rd - 24th February, 2012

Friday 10 Feb 'Penguins in the Sky - Asahiyama Zoo'
Friday 17 Feb 'The Face of Jizo'
Friday 24 Feb 'Zen'

Venue: The Gilmorehill Centre, University of Glasgow, 9 University Avenue, Glasgow G12

#140 Pat

Pat

• Root Admin
  • 19,633 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 02:13 PM

Then there's also this:

Films of the UCS Work-in

Mitchell Theatre, Glasgow. 21-23 March 2012

Tickets from www.glasgowconcerthalls.com
Wednesday 21 March, 1.00pm