harper

Scottish Independence ...

1,921 posts in this topic

Glasgow City Council scrape its budget through.

The Labour administration won the vote 40 to 38 despite up to 8 labour councillors threatening to resign and vote against it.

One of those councillors who had threatened to resign, Anne Marie Millar, claims she had to vote for the budget after her disabled boy's apprenticeship was threatened if she voted against the budget.

Dearie me, Council Elections cannot come quick enough

What was the name of that councillor who had a union activist sacked from a community project and then was appointed to his old job?

Any details on The SNP Budget proposals for Glasgow. Does it involve getting rid of trident?

What was the name of that councillor who had a union activist sacked from a community project and then was appointed to his old job?

Any details on The SNP Budget proposals for Glasgow. Does it involve getting rid of trident?

Surely even you know Faslane is in A&B

Today's chat day.

David Cameron coming to Scotland. I do not think the welcome will be that warm.

Save yourself 50p for more comfortable toilet paper as this is the only news in today's edition of The Sun in Scotland.

Launch is good news

Dear all,

I'M DELIGHTED to see the new edition of The Scottish Sun hit the streets today.

At a time when the media sector — and the economy as a whole — faces tough times, it's great to see a vote of confidence in the Scottish newspaper industry.

This paper brings the prospect of more jobs and more security to those already in employment.

The Sunday edition of The Scottish Sun is born of turbulent times in the newspaper industry.

The Leveson inquiry is, rightly, looking into some of the issues that have prompted these changes.

But the questions the probe is looking at relate to the industry, not one newspaper or company.

And at a time when it has become all too easy to knock journalism, it's worth remembering the good newspapers can do. The Scottish Sun's campaign to sign up organ donors in memory of seven-year-old Cole Gibson is just one example.

The risks journalists face were brought home this week when two were killed in Syria, including Marie Colvin of The Sunday Times.

At its best journalism informs, entertains and shines a light into murky corners. It's vital for a healthy democracy. That's why today is an important day not just for the Scottish newspaper industry but for Scottish public life as a whole.

Scotland's newest Sunday paper will be a fresh and vibrant addition in a nation that has an insatiable appetite for news.

The independence referendum in autumn 2014 will be chance for the whole country to have their say.

The Scottish Sun will play an important part in the great debate on our future.

So enjoy the first-ever edition of Scotland's newest Sunday paper.

I look forward to returning to these pages in the weeks and months to come!

Yours, Alex Salmond

Read more: The Scottish Sun

And News International is sponsoring STV

How very disappointing... :( Why would he associate himself so closely with a rag like the SUN? Is Alex Salmond losing the plot?

How very disappointing... :( Why would he associate himself so closely with a rag like the SUN? Is Alex Salmond losing the plot?

The SUN has been a backer of Independence for at least two parliaments.

You say that like it's a good thing... :blink:

I say it like its fact.

Why does every UK prime minister over the past 20 years toady up to Murdoch ?

I say it like its fact.

Why does every UK prime minister over the past 20 years toady up to Murdoch ?

Not everyone claims their FM to be the exception, Sam. :) Seems like Alex Salmond is just as cabable of toadying as all the others... how disappointing. :(

It's not that he's toadying up it's his welcome to an organisation that operates criminal activities and corrupts public servants all of which was public knowledge before the weekend. He gave The Sun teh date of the referendum in return for a front page exclusive.

Have a look at Charlotte Church's speech for a compare and contrast.

"I am obviously happy with the result in one sense, especially as I have finally discovered in the last week or so much more about what lengths these people were prepared to go to in order to publish stories about myself, my friends and my family.

"However, I have also discovered that despite the apology which the newspaper has just given in court, these people were prepared to go to any lengths to prevent me exposing their behaviour, not just in the deliberate destruction of documents over a number of years, but also by trying to make this investigation into the industrial scale of their illegal activity into an interrogation of my mother's medical condition, forcing her to relive the enormous personal distress they caused her back in 2005.

"In my opinion, they are not truly sorry, only sorry they got caught."

Of course the Nat Neds are already hammering their Chinese keyboards attacking her rather than their Kizzazz First Minister.

It's not that he's toadying up it's his welcome to an organisation that operates criminal activities and corrupts public servants all of which was public knowledge before the weekend. He gave The Sun teh date of the referendum in return for a front page exclusive.

Have a look at Charlotte Church's speech for a compare and contrast.

Of course the Nat Neds are already hammering their Chinese keyboards attacking her rather than their Kizzazz First Minister.

:lol: :lol: :lol: professional help is but a phone call away

That doesn't addrerss the issue Sam. IYV, why is Alex Salmond so keen to be seen supporting a midden liner like the SUN?

I don't know how much newspapers influence voters but there are other papers in Scotland to consider. Looks like Mr Salmond has got their backs up:

"The Scotsman pointed out that ...”Rupert Murdoch, the proprietor of The Sun and from who all decisions about political positioning flow, could be described as a floating voter.

“The Sun has backed the SNP in the past, and sometimes it has not. And in recent months, Mr Murdoch has indicated his admiration for Mr Salmond’s political skills and some sympathy for the idea Scotland should be independent. So it is easy to see why Mr Salmond would want to curry favour with him.

“But the idea that this will pay huge dividends for the SNP is misleading. The influence that newspapers have over how their readers vote has dwindled in recent years.

“Mr Salmond should also be aware of the problems of getting too cosy with rich and opinionated businessmen – his one-time friend and admirer Donald Trump is now hurling abuse and promising to finance campaigns against wind farms.”

They're not happy at the Daily Record either:

The Record commented: “... it was more than a little worrying to discover a newspaper owned by Rupert Murdoch claimed to have confirmation from a Scottish Government source that Saturday, October 18, is being lined up as the day of the big poll.

"This is the same Rupert Murdoch who sits at the top of an empire that controlled the News of the World.

"This was the very newspaper shut down because it had become a toxic brand after the phone hacking scandal."

I think they've got a point. Alex Salmond should steer clear of the likes of Murdoch. No matter how many jobs he's bringing to Scotland. Any new paper is bound to get the wind up the existing struggling journalists and could place their jobs in jeopardy so the new Sun is unlikely to be viewed in a good light.

Mind you there is a view that they are just so clever at the Sun that there was no leak - they figured out the date themselves.

http://thedrum.co.uk/news/2012/02/28/two-scottish-daily-newspapers-berate-scottish-government-over-leak-referendum-date

Not everyone claims their FM to be the exception, Sam. :) Seems like Alex Salmond is just as cabable of toadying as all the others... how disappointing. :(

who is claiming Alex Salmond is the exception?

That doesn't addrerss the issue Sam. IYV, why is Alex Salmond so keen to be seen supporting a midden liner like the SUN?

Address what issue? What issue is it that you see needing addressed that you didn't see needing addressed by Blair, Brown, Cameron et al?

I suspect what is really getting in the unionist craw is Salmond has nicked their influence from them; they are wasted parties drifting around knowing they are irrelevances.

Behave yourself, Sam!

Forget the Unionst semars for a second> Why has Alex Salamnind chosen to assocate himself with the SUN? It seems like a very bad tactic to me.

Behave yourself, Sam!

Forget the Unionst semars for a second> Why has Alex Salamnind chosen to assocate himself with the SUN? It seems like a very bad tactic to me.

Unionist smears?

The SUN has choosen to associate itself with Independence in Scotland. That's what the SUN does, it identifies the popular mood swing and backs it. Should there be a swing away from independence I am pretty certain the SUN would switch allegiances tout de suite. As tactics go, nevertheless, having the backing of the most popular newspaper is not to be sniffed at, as elections to the Scottish Parliament demonstrate.

Now explain to me why Blair, Brown and cameron associating themselves with News Corp was not considered bad tactics?

I think anyone who associates themselves with the SUN is piss poor and the point I am making is that Alex Salmond is no expection but you seem to think he is. :)

I think anyone who associates themselves with the SUN is piss poor and the point I am making is that Alex Salmond is no expection but you seem to think he is. :)

?????

You seem to be trying to put words in my mouth?

Alex Salmond is a consumate politician, of that I have no doubt. He and the SNP are for me a means to an end.

Are you suggesting that Alex Salmond should ask the SUN not to back independence? Are there any other newspapers the SNP should disassociate themselves from?

Now back to Blair, Brown and Cameron and their toadying to Rupert, what's your view on that?

Actually, I expect better of Alex Salmond than Cameron, Balir and Brown which is why I commented that it was disappointing to see him endorsing this rag. If anyone is distorting the issue it is you, Sam. Do you not agree that the consumate politician, Alex Salmond, should be a bit more circumspect about his public endorsement of this rag? You see in my book, when you say you stand for something better you model something better and this falls far short, IMV.

I can't for the life of me understand why Salmond has chosen to be linked in any way with Murdoch. I think it has been a serious error of judgement. So does the New Statesman, which paints him in a particularly poor light:

'For now, Mr Murdoch retains his ability to mesmerise politicians of left and right alike. The latest willing supplicant is the Scottish First Minister, Alex Salmond, who exclusively revealed to the Scottish Sun on Sunday his intention to hold an independence referendum on 18 October 2014. In the middle of the SNP's public consultation on the ballot, Mr Salmond, a self-described social democrat and pro-European, elected to tip-off an Australian-American newspaper proprietor before Scotland's five million voters. He has shown contempt for democracy and transparency and is shamelessly courting Murdoch just as Westminster MPs have done before him...'

'Bankers, politicians, the police and now the press - all have successively lost public confidence. The closing down of the Occupy camp at St Paul's in London on the day it was revealed that Barclays had attempted to avoid £500m in tax is symbolic of all that has gone wrong in British society in recent years. As long as our elected representatives continue to pay fealty to the old ways and the old order, there is little prospect of any improvement.'

http://www.newstatesman.com/newspapers/2012/03/murdoch-salmond-public-sun

Now I know The Sun has more readers than the New Statesman but their message doesn't miss the mark and their point of view is shared by many.

Actually, I expect better of Alex Salmond than Cameron, Balir and Brown which is why I commented that it was disappointing to see him endorsing this rag. If anyone is distorting the issue it is you, Sam. Do you not agree that the consumate politician, Alex Salmond, should be a bit more circumspect about his public endorsement of this rag? You see in my book, when you say you stand for something better you model something better and this falls far short, IMV.

That's tosh and you know it.

If you think the fight for independence is evenly covered in the press then you are naive in the extreme. I await with baited breath the next instalment of 'The Scotsman's' you'll need visas to travel to England crap, etc.