White Shroud by Antanas Skema – music and words with Merope
Wednesday 17th April, 2019, Doors open 7 PM, event until 9:30 PM
Savings Bank, Glasgow
An evening of music and words in celebration of cult Lithuanian novel WHITE SHROUD by Antanas Škėma, Lithuanian avant-garde writer from the mid-20th century.
Evening is presented in collaboration with Lithuanian Culture Institute and Vagabond Voices.
Ask any well-read Lithuanian who completed high school after 2002 which work of literature they remember best from their studies and you are almost guaranteed to hear: “Antanas Škėma’s White Shroud – that’s my favourite novel!”
Savings Bank is delighted to be taking part in a special series of events in Edinburgh, Glasgow and London celebrating White Shroud, the modernist masterpiece by Antanas Škėma. At this FREE event, discover this Lithuanian cult classic – originally published as Balta drobulė in 1958 – newly translated by Karla Gruodis and published by Glasgow independent publisher Vagabond Voices. This is a unique opportunity to hear words and music highlighting an important piece of 20th century literature.
In White Shroud, Škėma’s multiple narratives and voices compose the stream-of-consciousness story of an émigré poet working as an elevator operator in a large New York hotel during the mid-1950s. At this event, this polyphony of voices will be reflected and interpreted by the talented musicians Indrė Jurgelevičiūtė and Bert Cools of the band MEROPE, who promise to put you in a kind of trance. Listen as boundaries between the here and now and there and then start to blur, evoking the melancholic existential context of the exile literature.
Tickets to this event are free but booking is essential. You may also reserve a copy of the book in advance which will be available to collect on the evening of the event. Drinks and books will be sold!
Limited edition postcards designed by artist and fashion designer Elena Guchas and Rasa Narkunaite will also be exhibited.
Savings Bank Glasgow, 67 Bridge St, Glasgow G5 9JB
This section: Books, Talks, Poetry Events
Filed under: Books, Talks, Poetry Events
- Joe Hullait, Scot Squad Writer at QMU
- Creative Conversations, Kathleen Winter
- New Writings Showcase, Scottish Writers’ Centre
- Ian Macpherson, Comedy Writing Workshop
- Chris Brookmyre, Aye Write
- Poetry at The Parlour Glasgow West End
- Speakin Cajun CCA
- Margaret Atwood – Live in Cinemas
- The Red Light Zone by Jeff Zycinski – Jeff and Suzie Talk Radio
- Aye Write 2019! Sara Sheridan introduces Anne Griffin and Anstey Harris
- Sleaford Mods, CCA screening and Q and A
- White Shroud by Antanas Skema – music and words with Merope
- Book launch, readings and music at Avant Garde
- Book Event ‘Resurrection Men’ by David Craig
- Aye Write 2019! Frank Tallis and Laura Mucha
- Aye Write: Emily Cutts with Carol Craig
- Aye Write 2019! Daniel Smith
- Aye Write 2019! Malachy Tallack and Madeline Bunting
- Aye Write 2019! Alice Morrison
- Aye Write 2019! Walking and Running Through Scotland