The Art of Words, Thistle Gallery, 14 June, 2018
Fundraiser for Macmillan Cancer Support
Thursday, June 14th, 2018 – 7 p.m. until 9.30 p.m.
Wine / Raffle/ Canapes – Tickets £15
Part of West End Festival
Well known and much loved author Carl MacDougall (Someone Always Robs the Poor) will be reading extracts from his books and chatting with the audience.
Gillean McDougall, the Editor of the ‘Honest Error’ collection and poets Vicki Husband, Mark Russell and Christine Williamson will be reciting their poetry inspired by Charles Rennie Mackintosh.
And finally three writers Pat Byrne, Gillian Margaret Mayes and Micheal Norton will give renditions of their writing from the popular book ‘Ten Writers, Telling Lies”)
…and all the time you will be sitting among the vibrant artwork inspired by particular poets and prose.
Tickets priced £15 each are limited and will be on a first come, first served basis so call the Gallery today to book your tickets. 0141 334 3444′
For the Love of Art
‘We decided to explore the symbiotic relationship between Art and Literature in our remarkable new Exhibition which runs from June 2nd to 24th as part of the West End Festival.
The concept has been percolating for nearly a year and now we are delighted to say that twenty leading Scottish Contemporary Artists have more than risen to the challenge with a remarkable body of work which Previews on Saturday, June 2nd between 11am and 6pm.
Sylvia von Hartmann, Jackie Henderson, Stanley Bird, Denise Findlay, Paul Kennedy, Fiona Millar, Julie Coulter, Ian Rawnsley, Gregory Moore, Gail Stirling Robertson, Alexa Hope, Drew Mackie, Eileen MacAlister, Clare Spencer, David Murray, Stan Milne, Jilly Henderson, Gillian Sim, Amanda Johnson, Dorte Pape, and Robyn Kinsman Blake.
Through the mediums of painting, ceramics, glass, textiles and jewellery each artist explains their inspirations found in books, short stories and poems discovering along the way that ‘Literature, is in itself, an art.’
To fully interpret the links between the two key elements of the Show the Gallery is hosting two exciting Charity Events in aid of Macmillan Cancer Support. So if you love Art and Words then do please join us for a memorable evening celebrating both! As well as wine and canapés there will be a raffle and your chance to win a superb painting by popular artist Jackie Henderson entitled ‘The Secret Garden’.
Telephone Thistle Gallery for tickets: 0141 334 3444
Filed under: Art & artists Glasgow West End, Art - what's on, Books, Talks, Poetry Events, Events, Fairs, Festivals and Fundraisers, West End Festival Glasgow, What's On Glasgow West End: cinema, clubs, theatre, music, events, festivals, community and more
- Aye Write – celebration of writing from community based literacy and creative writing learners
- Neil Oliver at Aye Write 2019 review by Mary Irvine
- Edwyn Collins at Monorail Music
- Book Launch: Welcome to the Heady Heights by David Ross
- Woodlands Community Garden’s 9th Birthday Celebration
- Starchild Art for Africa with McTears Auctioneers and The Hidden Lane Gallery
- Frank Turner at Aye Write
- Lynn Howarth Featured Artist at The Glasgow Gallery
- Aye Write! Open Mic with Cheeky Besom Productions
- Andrew O’Hagan Creative Conversations
- Launch of The Blame Game C.J. Cooke
- Hannah Aldridge and the Goat Roper Band
- Music Broth Grow With Music Youth Project
- Aye Write: Emily Cutts with Carol Craig
- Ras Digby (Sir Jessus Soundsystem) The Rum Shack
- Girl GFT
- Astro Black GSFF at CCA
- Glasgow Short Film Festival 2019
- First Reels 2: Scottish Women Filmmakers of the 1990s CCA
- Wuthering Heights, Glasgow Film Theatre