Scottish Refugee Council The Glasgow Girls: Ten Years On Sun 14 June 2015 CCA
Scottish Refugee Council
The Glasgow Girls: Ten Years On
Sun 14 June 2015
5pm, Free but ticketed, Donations of £5 to Scottish Refugee Council welcome, Cinema
Tickets via Eventbrite.
Ten years on since five remarkable teenage friends, Amal (from Somalia), Roza (a Kurd, from Iraq), Ewelina (a Roma gypsy from Poland), Emma (a local Scot) and Agnesa (a Roma gypsy from Kosovo), started their award-winning campaign to the Home Office to stop the forced detention and deportation of asylum families whose children are well settled and integrated into Scottish life, we take a look at what the girls have achieved and what’s next for their campaign.
The event features two BBC documentaries following their extraordinary story: Tales from the Edge: The Glasgow Girls (BBC, Lindsay Hill, UK, 2005, 30mins) & The Children Who Disappear (BBC, Lindsay Hill, UK, 2006, 30mins).
The films are followed by a panel discussion with the Glasgow Girls and songs from the cast of National Theatre of Scotland and Cora Bissett’s innovative musical theatre production The Glasgow Girls (2012).
Part of Refugee Festival Scotland (3 – 21 June) an annual celebration of the contribution refugees make to life in Scotland and the welcome offered by local people.
Coordinated by Scottish Refugee Council, the festival is central to our work in helping refugees rebuild their lives and raising awareness of refugee experiences. www.refugeefestivalscotland.co.uk
Donations of £5 to Scottish Refugee Council’s work to support refugees in Scotland will be welcomed on the door.
Centre for Contemporary Arts
350 Sauchiehall Street
Glasgow G2 3JD
This section: Books, Talks, Poetry Events, Cinema
- Explore Wellspring Writing, Laura T. Fyfe, Scottish Writers
- Kittlin and the Carlton 3, West End Festival
- Dodie Bellamy, Kevin Killian, Calum Gardner, SWG3 Poetry Club
- Spotlight on Cinemas – West End Festival 2018
- Bloody Scotland, 2018
- The Art of Words, Thistle Gallery, 14 June, 2018
- Beyond Boundaries, Festival 2018, Call For Poems
- Word Jazzology hosted by Magi Gibson, Babbity Bowsters, Glasgow
- Examination Paper, Creative Writing Event/Installation, Scotland Street School
- Launch of Autumn Voices 2018
- ‘Growing and Dying’ Tribute to Janet Paisley, Event at Waterstones, Sauchiehall Street
- The Art of Words, Thistle Gallery, 7 June, 2018
- Writers’ Workshop Day at Fruin Farm, Nr. Helensburgh
- Marian Keyes at Aye Write, the Mitchell Library
- Autumn Voices Project – Poetry Competition 2018
- Autumn Voices Showcase 2018
- Creative Writing Fair, University of Glasgow
- Aye Write: Wee Write Beano Cartoon Capers, Mitchell Library
- Aye Write: Wee Write One Button Benny with Alan Windram
- Ann-Marie MacDonald in conversation with Louise Welsh, University of Glasgow