Sarah MacDougall & Ben Kunder, Woodend Bowling and Tennis Club, Wednesday 23 November, 2016
Sarah MacDougall & Ben Kunder
Ireland & UK Tour · November-December 2016
Wed 23 November, 2016 8 p.m.
Woodend Bowling and Tennis Club, 30 Chamberlain Road Jordanhill Glasgow G13 1QE
Canada-based, Swedish-born singer-songwriter Sarah MacDougall is justifiably recognized for her honest poetic songs, passionate performances and distinctive voice.
Garnering increasingly widespread international acclaim, Sarah MacDougall, a Western Canadian Music Award winning artist (Roots Solo Recording of the Year 2012 for The Greatest Ones Alive), was described by Rootstime in Belgium as “one of the greatest talents of this era”, and by Swedish magazine Nöjesguiden as “One of Sweden’s best singer/songwriters”.
Since the release of the award-winning The Greatest Ones Alive in 2011, Sarah has toured Canada and Europe extensively, while stealing as much time as possible between tours to write and demo new material. Last winter, she hunkered down under the Northern Lights in Whitehorse and put the final touches to her latest opus, the sonically rich album Grand Canyon.
Co-produced by Sarah and Caleb Stull (Field Study), Grand Canyon steps further beyond her previous folk and roots influences, flirting with sounds more reminiscent of The Postal Service or Kate Bush, and while Grand Canyon retains Sarah’s acoustic guitar, this time around she’s infused the arrangements with heavier drums, richly textured strings, synthesizers and keyboards.
The songs are about identity, love, fear, hope, growing up, rootlessness and forgiveness. They are written from the point of view of the hopeful outsider, trying to figure out their place and make sense of the world. Grand Canyon finds Sarah challenging herself and pushing new boundaries, musically and sonically, and with the album having earned another WCMA nomination the future looks destined to gain Sarah even further recognition.
Part-time carpenter and sometime actor, Canadian singer-songwriter Ben Kunder has spent years honing his craft to become a full time musician, venturing closer to making this a reality with the release of his debut solo LP Golden. With his powerful voice at its heart, Ben imbues his nine stunning original songs with indelible melodies, delivering an album of lush expansive Canadiana.
Ben has been writing and producing his music independently for over seven years and following a chance meeting with John Dinsmore (NQ Arbuckle), the pair hunkered down to co-produce Golden, with a number of Canada’s finest musicians joining Ben for the album, including Brian Murphy (Alvvays) on guitar/piano/Wurlitzer, Rich Knox (Dustin Bentall, Danko Jones) on drums/vocals, Anna Ruddick (Ladies of the Canyon) on bass/vocals, and Aaron Goldstein (Cowboy Junkies, Daniel Romano) on pedal steel.
Ben has lived all across the beautiful country of Canada, from his solar powered cabin on Salt Spring Island, British Columbia, where he spent his days chopping wood and chasing deer from the garden, to Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, working at the Confederation Centre for the Arts, and now Ben is back to where he started his journey, in his hometown of Toronto.
- Word Jazzology, Partickhill Bowling and Community Club
- Nathan Bell and Lynnie Carson, Glasgow Americana
- STAGE Multimedia Exhibition
- Gavin Paterson Nova Scotia Folk Club
- The Wellgreen, Stilton, KiDD, West of Scotland Cricket Club
- David Rovics at the Doublet Bar
- Spangled Cabaret October 2018
- Starry Skies Album Launch, OranMor
- Fail Better Open Mic, Villiers & Co
- Jim Byrne, The Basement Jam, Tennent’s Bar, Glasgow
- Fara, OranMor, Glasgow
- Brooks Williams Sounds in the Suburbs, The Doublet
- Seven Song Club, LOOPER and Wholly…..Cats
- Linda Jaxson Band at St Louis Cafe/Bar, Glasgow
- Songs of the Silver Screen, OranMor
- Yvonne Lyon and Eilidh Patterson, The Glad Cafe
- Ethan Johns, Love Music Glasgow
- Women at Carlton Studios, Glasgow, Monthly Event
- Thank Funk It’s Friday, 24 August, 2018
- Word Jazzology, Glasgow 30 August 2018