Mary Irvine’s Blog: Michael J Malone at Book Week Scotland 2018
A very appreciative audience enjoyed an entertaining two hours during the recent Book Week 2018 when the Helensburgh Library played host to poet turned novelist Michael J Malone.
He spoke of his early writing life and the benefits of joining a writers’ group for support and encouragement, as well as offering critiques. Having had many poems published – Art in the Park and Bards in the Bog both drew laughter from the audience – he moved on to writing novels which was what he really wanted to do.
His latest book After He Died revolves round the idea of how well do we know the people close to us. A flavour of the book was shared with readings introducing the two main characters – both female. He then introduced us to earlier novels and spoke of how he dealt with ‘hard’ themes and social issues without overdoing it.
Instead of the usual Q&A at the end of the talk Mt Malone requested questions be asked throughout his presentation. This worked well, not being intrusive but complementing the talk.
During Book Week Mr Malone raised money by swimming a total of 500 lengths in local swimming pools for Break the Silence – a charity that works with survivors of childhood sexual abuse, and rape.
This section: Books, Talks, Poetry Events, Mary Irvine: Writer and Philhellene
- Aye Write! Open Mic with Cheeky Besom Productions
- World Without Walls with musician and songwriter Brian McFall
- Novelist Sarah Moss Creative Conversations
- Women and Rent Strikes Red Clydeside at the Mitchell Library
- Tell It Slant Express Yourself on Burns Night
- Rachael Allen, Creative Conversations
- Three Leaps of the Gazelle, Playwrights Studio
- Scottish National Poetry Slam January 2019
- Charlie Gracie, Meet the Author, Fruin Farm review by Mary Irvine
- This Is Not A Burns Night, Govanhill Community Baths Trust
- Caro Ramsay, Plotting Your Novel
- Stuart MacBride, Creative Conversations, University of Glasgow
- Glasgow Literary Lounge – Alternative Burns
- Love Music Hate Racism, The Arlington
- Karine Polwart, Creative Conversations
- Refuweegee and Music Broth Unsilent Night Fundraiser
- Novelist Ann Cleeves, Creative Conversations
- Christmas Speakeasy and Open Mic, Scottish Writers
- Mary Irvine’s Blog: Michael J Malone at Book Week Scotland 2018
- Lin Anderson, Shaping the Story at Scottish Writers Centre