Lanark : A Life in Three Acts by Alasdair Gray Citizens Theatre, 15 August – 19 September, 2015
(Artwork: Night Street Self-Portrait by Alasdair Gray (1953) )
15 Aug 2015 to 19 Sep 2015
A new adaptation by David Greig of Alasdair Gray‘s seminal novel Lanark, directed by Graham Eatough.
A young man arrives in a dying city with seashells in his pockets. He doesn’t know who he is, or how he got here. He goes by the only name he can think of: Lanark.
Yearning to belong, he meets Rima at The Elite Café and together they are propelled into an epic journey through time, space and consciousness as Lanark tries, fails and tries again to find happiness.
Lanark is a portrait of the outsider artist as a young man, an exploded life story like no other. This theatrical re-imagining of Alasdair Gray’s classic novel will take us from the Dragon Chambers to the Cathedral of Unthank, from post-war Glasgow School of Art to the sinister underground Institute, from the heavenly city of Provan to the hellish Elite Café, combining science-fiction, realism, fantasy, and playful storytelling.
In the nearly 35 years since publication, the ideas, politics and ambitions of Lanark have inspired generations of artists in Scotland and beyond. This new co-production with Edinburgh International Festival celebrates Gray’s 80th year and continues a collaboration between Greig and Eatough which began with experimental theatre company Suspect Culture.
Lanark: A Life in Three Acts is a co-production between The Citizens Theatre and the Edinburgh International Festival in association with Graham Eatough and Sorcha Dallas.
Lanark will be staged at the Royal Lyceum Theatre, Edinburgh from 22 – 31 August. For more information, visit the EIF website.
Recommended for 14+ (scenes of a sexual nature)
Box Office: 0141 429 0022
Buy tickets online
Citizens Theatre, 119 Gorbals St, Glasgow G5 9DS
This section: What's on in Glasgow: Theatre and Comedy
Filed under: What's on in Glasgow: Theatre and Comedy
- The Motherf**cker With The Hat, The Tron, Glasgow
- Deniro – the Bulldog from Netherburn cast as Rufus in Legally Blonde, Glasgow
- Cilla – the Musical at King’s Theatre, Glasgow
- DOG AUDITIONS FOR THE ROLE OF RUFUS IN LEGALLY BLONDE THE MUSICAL ARE BEING HELD IN GLASGOW
- Of Mice and Men Theatre Royal, Glasgow
- The Vivace Theatre School Senior Musical Theatre students’ annual performances at Websters, Glasgow
- Cottiers – Bar, Restaurant, Theatre, Glasgow West End
- The Last Ship, Theatre Royal, June 2018.
- Red Raw, The Stand
- Hedda Gabbler, Theatre Royal Glasgow
- A Relaxed Performance of The Sleeping Beauty, Kings Theatre, Glasgow
- Jack and the Beanstalk, SEC, Gary Tank Commander and The Dolls
- Alice in Weegieland, The Tron
- Jock and the Beanstalk,The Shed
- It’s A Wonderful Life Radio Play, OranMor
- Sting Visits Fairfield Heritage Centre in Govan
- Theatre Royal Celebrates 150th Birthday
- Glasgow School of Art Choir, Royal Concert Hall
- The Wonderful West End, Christmas Gala, Royal Concert Hall Glasgow
- Jill and the Beanstock, Theatre at Queens Glasgow