Elisabeth Viguie-Culshaw – French Artist Explores ‘Lost In Translations’ Thistle Gallery, 17 August – 3 September, 2017
FRENCH ARTIST EXPLORES – ‘LOST IN TRANSLATIONS’
Thistle Gallery, Scottish Contemporary Art
A memorable collection of artwork produced by French artist Elisabeth Viguie-Culshaw who made Glasgow her home back in the late 1980’s with her Scottish husband.
Elisabeth has a passion for recycling and to this end she gathers treasures during her travels in the Far East along the Silk Road.
‘Lost in Translations’ is a series of pieces created after a trip to Hong Kong and Cambodia collecting newspapers, books and designs. Her intention is to recreate a true ‘Blue and White’ effect with lettering. The Red Chinese ‘double happiness’ sign, which is present in a lot of her work, is a favourite of hers. The stone seal, used to produce it, was hand carved by an artisan in Malaysia at her request.
When creating her art Elisabeth applies traditional paint finishers on hard boards, every item used for every board is up-cycled – gesso, chalk, wax, pigments, stencils , rubbings and distressed effects. She finishes her pieces using natural waxes giving them a timeless aged feel. Elisabeth frames pieces in recycled wood.
A selection of Elisabeth’s work will be displayed in the Thistle Gallery from August 17th until September 3rd as part of our popular annual Summer Breeze Show.
- William Hunter Tercentenary Exhibition The Hunterian
- The Last Leaf – a poem for Autumn by Catriona Malan
- Leela Soma: ‘Vermillion’ a poem for Autumn
- Shaping Their World, Thistle Gallery
- Graduate Degree Show, 2018, Glasgow School of Art
- ‘Cityscapes’ on the Horizon, Thistle Gallery
- The Great Big Mackintosh Bus Tour, Glasgow
- Rosengarten, The Hunterian
- Steven Berkoff: Gorbals 1966
- Looking out to New Horizons… Thistle Gallery, Glasgow
- Encounter No 1 by Sogol Mabadi and Emma Helen Reid
- The Art of Words, Thistle Gallery, 14 June, 2018
- Limited Edition Art Sale, The Store Interiors
- Light Stream, Lynn Howarth and Peter McNair, Lillie Gallery
- The Art of Words, Thistle Gallery, 7 June, 2018
- Charles Rennie Mackintosh Design: House For An Art Lover – Photo Gallery
- Isle of Bute. May 2018.
- Jot and Tittle Expo, citizen M Glasgow
- RE:search Glasgow Science Festival
- Lost Glasgow, More Than Memories Exhibition, Arlington Baths