Elisabeth Viguie-Culshaw – French Artist Explores ‘Lost In Translations’ Thistle Gallery, 17 August – 3 September, 2017
FRENCH ARTIST EXPLORES – ‘LOST IN TRANSLATIONS’
Thistle Gallery, Scottish Contemporary Art
A memorable collection of artwork produced by French artist Elisabeth Viguie-Culshaw who made Glasgow her home back in the late 1980’s with her Scottish husband.
Elisabeth has a passion for recycling and to this end she gathers treasures during her travels in the Far East along the Silk Road.
‘Lost in Translations’ is a series of pieces created after a trip to Hong Kong and Cambodia collecting newspapers, books and designs. Her intention is to recreate a true ‘Blue and White’ effect with lettering. The Red Chinese ‘double happiness’ sign, which is present in a lot of her work, is a favourite of hers. The stone seal, used to produce it, was hand carved by an artisan in Malaysia at her request.
When creating her art Elisabeth applies traditional paint finishers on hard boards, every item used for every board is up-cycled – gesso, chalk, wax, pigments, stencils , rubbings and distressed effects. She finishes her pieces using natural waxes giving them a timeless aged feel. Elisabeth frames pieces in recycled wood.
A selection of Elisabeth’s work will be displayed in the Thistle Gallery from August 17th until September 3rd as part of our popular annual Summer Breeze Show.
- The Art of Words, Thistle Gallery, 14 June, 2018
- Limited Edition Art Sale, The Store Interiors
- Light Stream, Lynn Howarth and Peter McNair, Lillie Gallery
- The Art of Words, Thistle Gallery, 7 June, 2018
- Charles Rennie Mackintosh Design: House For An Art Lover – Photo Gallery
- Isle of Bute. May 2018.
- Jot and Tittle Expo, citizen M Glasgow
- RE:search Glasgow Science Festival
- Lost Glasgow, More Than Memories Exhibition, Arlington Baths
- E. Jane / Hardeep Pandhal Opening GI Festival, Kelvin Hall, Glasgow
- Nnena Kalu, ProjectAbility, Glasgow
- Transatlantic connections – Hunterian exhibition brings Harvard’s historic treasures to Glasgow
- Woodlands Arts Survey & Artist Network Lunch Woodlands Workspace
- Fresh Work Springs Eternal at Thistle Gallery
- ‘Spring: the music of open windows’ at Thistle Gallery
- Dr Yupin Chung: Tea Under A Willow Tree, Glasgow Art Club
- 150th Anniversary Talks: Joanne Laird & Norman Walker Scotland Street School
- Frostpinni!, The Lighthouse
- Ross Birrell The Transit of Hermes, CCA
- David Mach ‘Against the Tide’ Cass Art, Glasgow