Elisabeth Viguie-Culshaw – French Artist Explores ‘Lost In Translations’ Thistle Gallery, 17 August – 3 September, 2017
FRENCH ARTIST EXPLORES – ‘LOST IN TRANSLATIONS’
Thistle Gallery, Scottish Contemporary Art
A memorable collection of artwork produced by French artist Elisabeth Viguie-Culshaw who made Glasgow her home back in the late 1980’s with her Scottish husband.
Elisabeth has a passion for recycling and to this end she gathers treasures during her travels in the Far East along the Silk Road.
‘Lost in Translations’ is a series of pieces created after a trip to Hong Kong and Cambodia collecting newspapers, books and designs. Her intention is to recreate a true ‘Blue and White’ effect with lettering. The Red Chinese ‘double happiness’ sign, which is present in a lot of her work, is a favourite of hers. The stone seal, used to produce it, was hand carved by an artisan in Malaysia at her request.
When creating her art Elisabeth applies traditional paint finishers on hard boards, every item used for every board is up-cycled – gesso, chalk, wax, pigments, stencils , rubbings and distressed effects. She finishes her pieces using natural waxes giving them a timeless aged feel. Elisabeth frames pieces in recycled wood.
A selection of Elisabeth’s work will be displayed in the Thistle Gallery from August 17th until September 3rd as part of our popular annual Summer Breeze Show.
- Valentine Haiku by Leela Soma
- Hearts for Art’s Sake, Valentine’s Gifts at Thistle Gallery
- Alberto Vazquez Dark Fables: From comics to films, CCA, Glasgow
- Sonnet Youth, The Drygate
- Japanese Prints and their influence at the end of the 19th century, Glasgow Art Club
- ‘Turning Over A New Leaf’ Exhibition at Thistle Gallery
- ‘Unwrapped’ Christmas Exhibition & Gifts at Thistle Gallery Glasgow until 24 Dec, 2017
- Context, Exibition of Photography and other interesting images at Offshore Gallery
- Everything in my Etsy shop is on sale: framed prints include classic views of the West End
- Temporary Closure of Mackintosh House
- RGI Annual Exhibition, The Mitchell Library, 11 November – 26 November, 2017
- Christmas Art Show, Lillie Gallery, November – December, 2017
- Poetry at Inn Deep, Tuesday 14 November, 2017
- Archifon IV, Cryptic Sonica, University of Glasgow Chapel 1 – 5 November, 2017
- Easing into Autumn With ‘Seven of Seven’, Thistle Gallery from 19 October, 2017 until end of the month.
- Scotland’s Own Coinage, The Hunterian, From 3 October 2017
- A Synchronology: the contemporary and other times, Hunterian Art Gallery, 27 October 2017 – 28 January 2018
- Family Ties, Thistle Gallery, 30 September – 15 October, 2017
- Carol Dunbar, Gallery Owner: Local Character, Glasgow West End
- Glasgow Doors Open Days Glasgow School of Art, Restoring Mackintosh Building, 11 September 2017