Call Mr Robeson, Queens Park Glasgow
Friday 3 May, 2019 6 p.m. – 10 p.m.
Queens Park, Glasgow G42 9QL
Call Mr Robeson! celebrates the life and trials of Mr Paul Robeson, who, in 1960 led the Glasgow May Day parade and performed for thousands at Queen’s Park Arena Glasgow.
With a special introduction by Lost Glasgow‘s Norry Wilson and local musicians, this event looks at Glasgow’s history of social justice activism as context for Tayo Aluko’s award-winning one man performance documenting the life of Paul Robeson.
***NB: THIS IS AN OUTDOOR PERFORMANCE, TICKETS ARE NON-REFUNDABLE IN THE EVENT OF INCLEMENT WEATHER***
Paul Robeson was a great and famous actor, singer and civil rights campaigner.
When over the years he was becoming progressively too radical and outspoken for the establishment’s liking, he was branded a traitor to his country, harassed, and denied opportunities to perform or travel.
Just as physical, emotional and mental stress threaten to push him over the fine line between genius and madness, he is summoned to appear before the House Un-American Activities Committee, to give the most difficult and important performance of his career.
This roller-coaster journey through Robeson’s remarkable and eventful life highlights how his pioneering and heroic (but largely forgotten) political activism led many to describe him as the forerunner of the civil rights movement.
It features much fiery oratory and some of his famous songs, including a dramatic rendition of Ol’ Man River.
General Admission – £11.50
This section: Events, Fairs, Festivals and Fundraisers
Filed under: Events, Fairs, Festivals and Fundraisers
- G20 Youth Festival – Raising Funds
- Govanhill Carnival Parade 2019
- Govanhill International Festival 2019
- Mother Courage and Her Children by Tom Leonard
- CineRoma at Govanhill International Festival
- Cuba Libre, Cottiers
- Cottiers – Bar, Restaurant, Theatre, Glasgow West End
- Songs of Love and Freedom, Kelvingrove Bandstand
- Celtic Music Radio House Concert Fundraiser for Tom Fairnie
- Lids Open Day, Kelvingrove Bandstand
- Websters Big Summer Event
- Record Fair at Nice n Sleazy
- Doc’n Roll presents: It Must Schwing! The Blue Note Story
- Some things want to run V/DA | Sonic Séance: The Gathering CCA
- Kirklee Allotments Open Day West End Festival 2019
- The Glasgow Mela 2019
- Interfest and Book Launch Garnethill Glasgow
- The Big West End Festival Closing Party Cottiers
- Rab Noakes, Websters 2
- Lids Open Day with Glasgow Piano City West End Festival