Aye Write Festival Glasgow 2014: Scotland and England: What’s the difference? 5th April
Scotland and England: What’s the difference?
5 Apr 2014 • 3:00 P.M – 4:00 P.M • Mitchell Library
Lesley Riddoch, Michael Fry and Rory Stewart discuss how distinct Scotland and England really are.
How distinct are Scotland and England? Are there genuine differences in political outlook, or deeper continuities? Is Glasgow more like Oslo than London? To debate these and other questions we are joined by broadcaster and community activist Lesley Riddoch; historian and convert to nationalism Michael Fry; Scottish-born MP for Carlisle, Cumbria and the Borders, and former governor of an Iraq province Rory Stewart.
Lesley Anne Riddoch is broadcaster and journalist working with BBC Radio and Televsion as well as Channel 4, The Sunday Herald, The Scotsman and The Guardian.
Michael Fry is a highly regarded author and journalist, and a regular contributor to many newspapers and journals, notably the Scotsman , the Herald and the Sunday Times. He is the author of eight books of Scottish history.
Rory Stewart MP or was a senior coalition official in a province of occupied Iraq in 2003–2004. He wrote about his experience there in The Prince of the Marshes He is involved in cultural development work in Afghanistan as the Executive Chairman of the Turquoise Mountain Foundation.
- Mitchell Library, North Street
- Glasgow G3 7DN
- Tel: 0141 287 2999
- Aye Write!
- Margaret Atwood – Live in Cinemas
- Glasgow Literary Lounge featuring Louise Malone on art plus Open Mic
- Farzane Zamen in Concert
- Scottish PEN Writers In Exile review by Pat Byrne
- Start – Graham Morgan at Helensburgh Library
- Book Launch: ‘The Sound of the Hours’ Karen Campbell
- Book Launch: Something Like Happy – Sasha Greene
- From Glasgow To Saturn Pride Edition Launch
- Some Distant Day with Cheeky Besom Productions
- Longlist for McIlvanney Prize Scottish Crime Book of the Year 2019
- Express Yourself – Poets at Tellit Slant
- An Afternoon of Fiction, Poetry and Performance
- The Creative Process with Jacqueline Smith
- An Evening with local author – Pat McIntosh
- Scottish PEN’s Writers in Exile
- Manaf Halbouni – Artist’s Talk Refugee Festival Scotland
- Interfest and Book Launch Garnethill Glasgow
- Julia Donaldson – The Gruffalo and other stories at West End Festival
- A Place For The Work and The Human Being
- Aye Write! presents Jane Harper