The Young ‘Uns, OranMor, 6 October, 2017
6 October, 2017 – The Venue at OranMor
Teesside’s triumphant trio The Young’uns, current holders of BBC Radio 2 Folk Awards coveted “Best Group” title two years running, have proved themselves a unique proposition – writing and performing a cappella or subtly accompanied songs that tell it how it is alongside traditional songs from their native North-East and further afield – songs of conscience, songs of warmth and wit, songs to provoke, songs to inspire.
Renowned for their pitch perfect harmonies and rapid fire humour, their live show undeniably has the human touch. Always engaging, frequently heart-warming, they have built an enviable audience rapport. They are an act that truly takes the cliché out of the “make you laugh, make you cry” tag.
Just two years after giving up their day jobs, Stockton Folk Club’s star pupils have had a milestone year with the release of their third studio album Another Man’s Ground, an appearance at America’s Folk Alliance, collectively celebrating their 30th birthdays and racking up accolades including Best Group in the FATEA Awards, Best Live Act in the Spiral Earth Awards and listed as one of MOJO’s “Best Albums” in 2015.
A decade of performance around the country, national radio sessions, more than 40 festival appearances (Cambridge to Glastonbury) and increasingly acclaimed album releases has delivered a gregarious, sharply honed, pull no punches act that clinched the Best Group trophy at the 2015 BBC Radio 2 Folk Awards in Cardiff – a hugely popular result that saw them beating off opposition including the mighty Bellowhead.
Beguiling audiences around the world, they seamlessly switch from beautiful ballads to brilliant banter, from profoundly poignant songs to infectiously irreverent humour. This, combined with their passion for storytelling and commitment to maintaining the tradition of social commentary, has led to five star reviews, live sessions on BBC Radio 2, 3 and documentaries on Radio 4 as well as countless sell out shows and main stage festival appearances throughout the UK and abroad. They are a superb live act who should not be missed!
“Glorious harmonies, waspish wit, powerful songs and relentless banter…..irresistible” ★★★★★ The Guardian
★★★★ The Times
“…a touching British affair” The Observer
“Great singers and very, very funny” Mark Radcliffe, BBC Radio 2
“Epic…in Cooney, The Young’uns clearly have a songwriter of considerable talent” ★★★★ Songlines
“With a rare vocal affinity usually the reserve of close blood relations….richly melodic, lyrically elegant and wryly observant…The Young’uns have something to say and something that demands to be listened to” The Living Tradition
“Magnificent…destined to become hailed national treasures before too long” ★★★★★ Maverick
“A folk music phenomenon” FATEA
0844 944 0444
Top of Byres Road,
Glasgow, G12 8QX
- Online Quiz Night with Duglus T Stewart
- Scenes for Survival Courier Culture
- G20 Festival Safe Play for Children Under 11
- Murder at the Mela by Leela Soma
- Bloody Scotland 2020 – Debut Shortlist and McIlvanney Prize Longlist
- Summer Art Sessions Woodlands Community
- Outdoor Activities Woodlands Community
- Sonnet Youth Social Club
- Climate Change The Facts David Attenborough Savvy Film
- Food Truck and Craft Beer Festival Rouken Glen
- Drive In Movies Paisley
- Anna (Young Adults Book) by Laura Guthrie
- Edinburgh Film Festival At Home
- A Northern Extravaganza with Shetlandic Poets Christie Williamson and Roseann Watt
- Jasmine Boutique – Stay at Home Service
- World Refugee Day Saturday 20 June, 2020
- Sunset Sessions with Alan Frew
- Joan of Arc Glasgow Film Theatre – Virtual Cinema
- French Film Festival UK November – December 2020
- Nurture through Nature – one to one support Woodlands Community