Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Sign in to follow this  
Dexter St. Clair

Eric M Hamilton Queen Margaret Drive

A wee bit of West end history passes.

ERIC HAMILTON, who has died aged 87, was best known in his native Glasgow for his avant garde audiovisual electronics store – EM Hamilton Hi-Fi at 116 Queen Margaret Drive, a mecca for discerning music lovers during the last three decades of the 20th century. "Eric" was written above the door of his shop and inside you could find, in the words of the shop's website, "the man, the sound, the vision".

Obituary

Bought some stuff from there. Sold them some stuff too.

A wee bit of West end history passes.

Obituary

Bought some stuff from there. Sold them some stuff too.

What a fascinating character and a lovely obituary.

Guest thomas

I used to pass that shop daily but if truth be told, I wasn't of the 'age to appreciate' or have the money to make a purchase. I do remember going in once and once only when I was in my late teens and asking about a replacement bulb for a cine projector and it would have taken me a year's salary to purchase the thing at that time. I never went back in and when I moved from the area, forgot all about it until today when I read this post.

That would have been 20th Century Movies a couple of doors down again run by another legend.

20thc_movies.jpg

I loved 20thC Movies! :) Used to go in for a root around every few weeks, would occasionally buy film from them. I remember Eric's getting a refurb, and it became all shiny and modern. I would look in and drool but never actually went in as it was all far too expensive for me!