Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Guest westtender

Woolworths

So that's lametta. (is it better, is it well, well, well..... :lol: )....

Haha, I had thought of that, but figured I wouldnae get away with that AND the cute scooter thing. :)

Guest westtender

Shit, ahahahahha! Ahahahahahaaaaaaa. snort. Ahahahaaaa. God I've woken the wean now......ahahahahahaaaaa!

Mod's scooter.....ahahahaaaaaaa hahahahhaaaaaaaa ahaaahahahahaaaa!

flipsake, stoap it Hammy, this here's no asposed to be fun... :):lol: :lol:

Aye, thon Vermicelli Tinsel... wis he no in Ultravox?

flipsake, stoap it Hammy, this here's no asposed to be fun... :):lol::lol:

Oh. Oops. I promise I 'll do no fun and more miserable the nearer it gets to Consumer Day. :)

Shit, ahahahahha! Ahahahahahaaaaaaa. snort. Ahahahaaaa. God I've woken the wean now......ahahahahahaaaaa!

Mod's scooter.....ahahahaaaaaaa hahahahhaaaaaaaa ahaaahahahahaaaa!

flipsake, stoap it Hammy, this here's no asposed to be fun... :):lol: :lol:

Let's hear it for the mighty Lametta. So good almost every nation's got a word furrit...........GET WI THE PROGRAMME YOUSE LOT! :) :) :)

Arabic: شَرائِط لامِعَه للزينَه

Chinese (Simplified): 闪光发亮的金属饰物

Chinese (Traditional): 閃光發亮的金屬飾物

Czech: cetka, pozlátko, lameta

Danish: flitterstads

Dutch: kerstboomversiersel

Estonian: kassikuld, kard

Finnish: joulukuusenvälke

French: clinquant

German: das Lametta

Greek: ασημένια βροχή (για χριστουγεννιάτικο δέντρο)

Hungarian: lametta (karácsonyfára); aranylamé (ruhára)

Icelandic: glys, glingur

Indonesian: kertas perak

Italian: lamé, laminato

Japanese: 光る飾り

Korean: (장식용의) 번쩍번쩍 빛나는 금속 조각

Latvian: vizulis; spīgulis

Lithuanian: blizgučiai

Norwegian: glitter

Polish: lameta

Portuguese (Brazil): ouropel

Portuguese (Portugal): ouropel

Romanian: beteală

Russian: мишура

Slovak: pozlátko, lameta

Slovenian: zlati laski

Spanish: oropel

Swedish: glitter

Turkish: gelin teli

:lol:

Wull there be loyalties paid tae a Mr G Glitter furra Norweejin use of his name

Wull there be loyalties paid tae a Mr G Glitter furra Norweejin use of his name

And the 2008 PWE Bleeding Obvious Observation prize goes to.....Sir Nota of Nimby, well done sir!

Should any outraged Daily Mail readers wish to sue me over any translation of the word lametta, please address your lawsuit to;

Rolo Tomassi

c/o PWE

Near Byres Road

Quite Near Ashton Lane

Not too near to that Partick :)

And definitely nowhere near Maryhill :)

Glasgow :)

Scotland

UKE

Europe

The World

The Universe

:lol: :lol: :)

And the 2008 PWE Bleeding Obvious Observation prize goes to.....Sir Nota of Nimby, well done sir!

Should any outraged Daily Mail readers wish to sue me over any translation of the word lametta, please address your lawsuit to;

Rolo Tomassi

c/o PWE

Near Byres Road

Quite Near Ashton Lane

Not too near to that Partick :rolleyes:

And definitely nowhere near Maryhill :blink:

Glasgow :lol:

Scotland

UKE

Europe

The World

The Universe

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Thanks furr 'at

Am waitin on new glesses, the currint wans huvvin been worn oot reedin pish aboot glittur :unsure:

I found this on another forum with the same topic. Impressed me that much, I thought I'd share it.

Don't blame the customers - blame Trevor and the directors. They took away high margin, much in demand, departments like tights and cosmetics which every woman buys REGULARLY. Women once in the store bought for their kids and husbands. Take away those and footfall drops like a stone.

Next they (former Curry's directors) brought in TV's, computers and Hifi's. Infrequent purchases being sold by staff without any knowledge of the goods they were selling. Who would by those products in a Woolworths store. They did away with the 'back-catalogue' of music/film products where the good margin was and tried to compete 'chart only' against Tesco's and the internet suppliers.

(Despite the high profile PicknMix was a very small part of the biz).

They employed a market research firm that identified their 'perfect' customer as a young Mum with household income of £34000 (years ago) and healthy disposable income wanting premium products so company buyers complied.

Maybe true of Oxford Street - but the typical small town - no chance at all.

When questioned one arrogant MD said Wilkinsons was 'no problem' and they would put them out of business.

I'm still waiting for clever Trevor to make an appearance.

While ah'm sad tae see the demise o' Woolies - ah huv simlur memories tae westendir aboot gaun therr as a wean, (which wiz considurred a treat) - ah'm faur fae surprised it huz come tae pass.

While ah fully agree wi' the rezzonin in Yonza's recent post, ah think that is only scratchin the surface. Bad managemint decisions, by peepul in nae posishin tae know whit is guid bizniss fur Woolies, huv shoorly brot aboot this sad and premachoor end. Howiver, "High Street" shoppin, as we know it, is rapidly oan it's wiy oot, an' Woolies closure is only a forewarnin o' the shape o' things tae come.

As guilty as the nixt man, ah tend tae dae a lotty mah shoppin, "oanline", theez days. Claes 'n' shooz apart, ah'm happy tae buy maist things fae the cumfurt o' mah ain hoose.

Ah huv recintly bought three eksellent deeveedeez, costin a totla o' thirteen kwid, an' they wur delivert tae mah door et nae ekstra cost. Ah bought thum affy play.com an' coodnae possibly huv found thum cheaper onywherr that huz the kinda overheads ony shoap huz tae fork oot.

So, why wid ah suffer gaun oot in the crap wethir, tae buy the same items et grossly inflaytit prices? Answer? Ah widnae! An' neethur wull millyins o' ithers like me.

Modren life might well be rubbish, but it's the wiy society is gaun an' we hud bettir get yazed tae it. Trust me - in less than twinty yeers, shoppin as we know it today just wullnae eggzist.

Ach, paid my last visit to Woolies down Byres yesterday. Kinda wish I hadn't bothered.

Not only is it the most rubbish stock left, ( I got all the lametta weeks back :lol:) they've started to dismantle the place, most of the shelving's been taken down and it's FOR SALE (gulp) to any punter that wants to acquire it.

I remember that shop since I was a wee girl (which of course is so last-century); it used to have uneven wooden floors (I'll never forget the sound of em) and big huge long counters all divided up into perspex boxes wi price tags ( shillings or pence) on metal sticks. And it aye smelt of the sickly-sweet pick'n'mix.... :lol:

From the age of 12 to the current age (let's just + 40 for the sake of argument) there's hardly been a weekend I've not been in that shop.

JJ's probably right though, we're all internetted-up shopping-wise and bargain-wise. 'Cept me---lone voice in the wilderness- I don't do net shopping.

In oor hoose, nobody's guaranteed to be home to take deliveries, so I reckon that unless you have 'staff (Nota?) working folks queue just as long at courier depots than you do in real shops....plus I kinda like to see what I'm buying first hand. But call me-old-fashioned.... :lol:

Efficient as it may be, I find net shopping totally soulless myself. For all kindsa reasons.

;)

Ach.

Wonder what'll replace Woolies in Byres.

Ach, paid my last visit to Woolies down Byres yesterday. Kinda wish I hadn't bothered.

Not only is it the most rubbish stock left, ( I got all the lametta weeks back ;)) they've started to dismantle the place, most of the shelving's been taken down and it's FOR SALE (gulp) to any punter that wants to acquire it.

I remember that shop since I was a wee girl (which of course is so last-century); it used to have uneven wooden floors (I'll never forget the sound of em) and big huge long counters all divided up into perspex boxes wi price tags ( shillings or pence) on metal sticks. And it aye smelt of the sickly-sweet pick'n'mix.... :lol:

From the age of 12 to the current age (let's just + 40 for the sake of argument) there's hardly been a weekend I've not been in that shop.

JJ's probably right though, we're all internetted-up shopping-wise and bargain-wise. 'Cept me---lone voice in the wilderness- I don't do net shopping.

In oor hoose, nobody's guaranteed to be home to take deliveries, so I reckon that unless you have 'staff (Nota?) working folks queue just as long at courier depots than you do in real shops....plus I kinda like to see what I'm buying first hand. But call me-old-fashioned.... ;)

Efficient as it may be, I find net shopping totally soulless myself. For all kindsa reasons.

:(

Ach.

Wonder what'll replace Woolies in Byres.

Wiz in Greenock toon centur yesterday, I tae went intae woolies, walked aroon it fur 5 minutes the left.

Ah felt like a vulchur, pickin over the bodies of poor creatures, made me fell really uneasy :(

Found this on Youtube

Very sad, Yonza. Missing buying my plants there and what's gonna happen when the kids are going back to school?

Speaking of what will replace Woolies?

Now it's been a while since I've been in Byres Road but I could never find any kid's clothes shops nor butcher's nor a bookshop that wasn't a charity or a chain.

Speaking of what will replace Woolies?

Now it's been a while since I've been in Byres Road but I could never find any kid's clothes shops nor butcher's nor a bookshop that wasn't a charity or a chain.

There are major gaps, IonaW. You sometimes need to take a wander, or a tube, down the lanes or along to Kelvinbridge, some posh stuff, or down to Partick for just about everything, come back to Byres Road for some lunch, cafe culture or a cocktail or two. There is a bookshop now and, of course, you need to check out the fabulous Caledonian Bookshop on Great Western Road.

It's a major mistake to think of Byres Road as the throbbing heart of the West End. It has some little gems but mainly it is a thoroughfare.

Guest westtender

There is a bookshop now and,

2 bookshops, not including Oxfam......Bargain Books is back!!

Awful, but I laike it. I laike it a lot more than that 'Lost' place.

2 bookshops, not including Oxfam......Bargain Books is back!!

Awful, but I laike it. I laike it a lot more than that 'Lost' place.

That's great. I missed Bargain Books. Books and bargains are a great combination.

Is it in the sam spot?

Yeah. Same spot.

I was in the other day. Extremely nice proprietors, but same old same old stock.

Lots of couthy Scots books wi pics of Marzaroli-esque 50s weans on the front, lots of kids' colouring-in books wi four crayons taped to the front, a few 'bestselling' autobiographies by complete nonentities, and many trillions of cookery books and travel guides.

I bought a £3 volume about EuroDisney. It was either that or '3000 Italian Recipes Involving One Sauce and 2999 Varieties of Pasta'.

Yeah. Same spot.

I was in the other day. Extremely nice proprietors, but same old same old stock.

Lots of couthy Scots books wi pics of Marzaroli-esque 50s weans on the front, lots of kids' colouring-in books wi four crayons taped to the front, a few 'bestselling' autobiographies by complete nonentities, and many trillions of cookery books and travel guides.

I bought a £3 volume about EuroDisney. It was either that or '3000 Italian Recipes Involving One Sauce and 2999 Varieties of Pasta'.

Aye, you always find something. :rolleyes:

I'm a sucker for the beautiful and affordable coffee table publications and the great calendars with the wonderful photographs of Scottish scenes - 2010 will probably be in stock soon. :)