World Book Night with Denise Mina
Zoe Strachan in conversation with author Denise Mina
Creative Conversations Friday, 23 April, 2021 – 7 p.m.- 8p.m.
Free – Register at Eventbrite
About this Event
Join Creative Conversations and East Ayrshire Libraries on World Book Night where Zoe Strachan will chat with author Denise Mina about her latest novel, The Less Dead.
After a peripatetic childhood in Glasgow, Paris, London, Invergordon, Bergen and Perth, Denise Mina left school early and worked a number of jobs before studying at night school to get into Glasgow University Law School.
Denise went on to study for a PhD at Strathclyde, where she wrote her first novel. This was Garnethill, published in 1998, which won the Crime Writers Association John Creasy Dagger for Best First Crime Novel.
She has now published 14 novels and also writes short stories, plays and graphic novels. In 2014 she was inducted into the Crime Writers’ Association Hall of Fame.
Denise presents TV and radio programmes as well as regularly appearing in the media, and has made a film about her own family.
She regularly appears at literary festivals in the UK and abroad, leads masterclasses on writing and was a judge for the Bailey’s Prize for Women’s Fiction 2014 and for the Cohen Prize in 2017.
Creative Conversations is programmed by the University of Glasgow Creative Writing Programme and funded by the Ferguson Bequest. Professor Thomas Ferguson (1900-1977), Henry Mechan Chair of Public Health (1944-64), bequeathed his estate to the University, with the instruction that the money should be used to foster the social side of University life.
More information about East Ayrshire Libraries
World Book Night is the annual celebration of books and reading on 23 April that brings people from all backgrounds together for one reason – to inspire others to read more. Presented by The Reading Agency, and in partnership with Specsavers, in 2021 celebrating the 10th anniversary with a special “Books to Make You Smile” theme with lead ambassador, Sandi Toksvig.
This event will be hosted on Zoom and you will be sent a link to attend the meeting once you book on Eventbrite.
- Women’s Library – In Conversation with Paria Goodarzi
- Bloody Scotland 2021 McIlvanney Prize Long List Announced
- Cottiers – Bar, Restaurant, Theatre, Glasgow West End
- The Owner of the Sea – Richard Price readings and discussion
- Bernard MacLaverty: Glasgow Writer
- Graeme Macrae Burnet – Glasgow Writer
- Glasgow Writers: Theresa Talbot
- Glasgow School of Art Digital Showcase 2021
- Hillhead Summer Arts Academy 2021
- Mansfield Park Street Festival 2021
- Vinicombe Street Gala 2021
- Touring Scotland – Pop Up Opera 2021
- Scottish Books Long Weekend
- Meet the Poet: Marcus Slease & Colin Herd
- Contemporary Quilt Group, The Auld Kirk
- Balloch Open Mic on Zoom
- Sheffield Doc Festival 2021 at GFT
- Creative Conversations: David Robertson
- Aye Write on Demand 2021
- Refugee Festival Scotland 2021