West End Festival 2016: Karen Matheson & Band, Maryhill Central Community Hall
Karen Matheson And Band
Saturday 04 Jun 7:30pm
Maryhill Central Community Halls, 292 Maryhill Road, Glasgow, G20 7YE
Tickets £16 plus booking fee (£18 at the door). Tickets in advance from Ticketsource or by phone 0333 666 3366. Booking fees apply.
Widely recognised as the compelling vocals of Celtic super-group Capercaillie, Karen is immersed in the deep well of traditional songs that have been her inspiration for over 30 years of recording and performing world-wide. Her stunning rendition of “Ae Fond Kiss” stole the show at the closing ceremony of the 2014 Commonwealth Games in Glasgow, to a televised audience of a billion people around the world.
As a solo performer, Karen has been involved in various projects including the award-winning BBC TV series ‘Transatlantic Sessions’, where she has recorded tracks with artists such as james Taylor, Nanci Griffith, Emmylou Harris, the McGarrigle Sisters and a host of respected Scottish musicians. Her many other collaborations include Algerian singer Idir, Breton guitarist Dan ar Bras, and Portuguese star Dulce Pontes as well as the late Pete Seeger.
With Capercaillie – “the most exciting and vibrant band in the field of Celtic music today” (Billboard), Karen has enjoyed a stellar career. Capercaillie have sold more than a million albums, perfomed in over 30 countries and written and featured music for the film “Rob Roy”.
“Karen Matheson has a throat that was surely touched by God.” Sean Connery.
Support acts to be announced.
All seated concert. Unreserved places.
Part of the West End Festival 2016
- Online Quiz Night with Duglus T Stewart
- Scenes for Survival Courier Culture
- G20 Festival Safe Play for Children Under 11
- Murder at the Mela by Leela Soma
- Bloody Scotland 2020 – Debut Shortlist and McIlvanney Prize Longlist
- Summer Art Sessions Woodlands Community
- Outdoor Activities Woodlands Community
- Sonnet Youth Social Club
- Climate Change The Facts David Attenborough Savvy Film
- Food Truck and Craft Beer Festival Rouken Glen
- Drive In Movies Paisley
- Anna (Young Adults Book) by Laura Guthrie
- Edinburgh Film Festival At Home
- A Northern Extravaganza with Shetlandic Poets Christie Williamson and Roseann Watt
- Jasmine Boutique – Stay at Home Service
- World Refugee Day Saturday 20 June, 2020
- Sunset Sessions with Alan Frew
- Joan of Arc Glasgow Film Theatre – Virtual Cinema
- French Film Festival UK November – December 2020
- Nurture through Nature – one to one support Woodlands Community