Vahni Capildeo, Creative Conversations
Poet Vahni Capildeo
Monday 4 December
1 – 2 PM
University Chapel, West Quadrangle, Main Building Gilmorehill Campus, University of Glasgow, Glasgow G12 8QQ
Free & Open to the Public
Vahni Capildeo is an award-winning poet born in Trinidad and living in the UK.
Her poetry collections include No Traveller Returns (2003), Undraining Sea (2009), Dark and Unaccustomed Words (2012), Utter (2013), Simple Complex Shapes (Shearsman, 2015), Measures of Expatriation (2016), which won the 2016 Forward Prize.
Selecting Measures of Expatriation for the Forward Prize, the judging panel chair Malika Booker stated, “We found a vertiginous excitement in the way in which the book grasps its subject: the sense of never quite being at home. This is poetry that transforms. When people in the future seek to know what it’s like to live between places, traditions, habits and cultures, they will read this. Here is the language for what expatriation feels like.” In an interview with the Forward Arts Foundation, Capildeo discusses the sources for Measures of Expatriation’s “sense of coexistent distance-in-presence, presence-in-distance, which is so typical of virtual communication today but also of how travellers carry elsewhen as well as elsewhere in their heart.”
Capildeo collaborated with writer and theater artist Jeremy Hardingham on a Shakespeare-engaged performance, a process she describes as “part of an ongoing project relating text to movement in new ways.” She has also collaborated with poet, artist, and journalist Andre Bagoo. Capildeo has served as a contributing editor for the Caribbean Review of Books and as an editorial assistant and a researcher for the Oxford English Dictionary.
Books by featured authors will be for sale in John Smiths bookshop.
- Candlelight Spoken Word Open Mic
- The Flying Dug Quiz Night, Glasgow
- Wakeful Screening at CCA
- The Siren Awakes by Linda Jackson, West End Launch
- Celtic Connections 2020 Hannah Read and Andy Monaghan review by Fionnuala Boyle
- Opening and Closing Galas announced for Glasgow Film Festival 2020
- Celine and Julie Go Boating, GFT
- First events announced for Glasgow Film Festival 2020
- Different from Others with Illustrated Talk, GFT
- Finish Exposure Films from the Arctic
- Waves GFT
- Bombshell GFT
- Chinese Visual Festival 2020
- Coastal Connections Festival 2020 review and photography by Pauline Keightley
- Preview: Parasite + Satellite Q&A with Bong Joon-ho-GFT
- Bohemia Bespoke Vintage Wedding Fair
- Cottiers Burns Supper and Ceilidh
- Burns Night (excellent)
- Burns Night Ceilidh, Stereo
- This is not a Burns Night – Dance of the Underclass