Unbuilt Mackintosh, The Hunterian
8 March – 3 June 2018
Unbuilt Mackintosh showcases stunning architectural models based on the unbuilt designs of Scottish architect, designer and artist Charles Rennie Mackintosh (1868-1928). Demonstrating Mackintosh’s architectural vision, the models have been crafted by current Scottish model makers, with their precise dimensions meticulously drawn from Mackintosh’s drawings and documentation.
The display combines models on loan from Glasgow Mackintosh with items from The Hunterian collection.
Part of Mackintosh 150 – a year-long programme of events to mark the 150th anniversary of the birth of Charles Rennie Mackintosh.
Unbuilt Mackintosh is a 3D tribute to unbuilt designs by the widely celebrated Scottish architect, designer and artist Charles Rennie Mackintosh (1868-1928). The twelve models exhibited, commissioned by The Hunterian and the Glasgow Mackintosh group, were crafted by current Scottish model makers to bring Mackintosh’s unbuilt projects to life.
Highly influential and internationally recognised, Mackintosh made great contributions to the architectural heritage of his native city with notable structures such as The Glasgow School of Art, Queen’s Cross Church and Scotland Street School.
Yet his thirty years of practice saw the completion of only fourteen buildings.
Concentrating on projects that never went past the drawing board, Unbuilt Mackintosh aims to visually represent his wider contributions to architecture.
Image: Charles Rennie Mackintosh, Design for 1901 Glasgow International Exhibition Buildings Competition: sections and plans for a concert hall, bar, dining room and bridge, 1898.
Hunterian Art Gallery
82 Hillhead Street
University of Glasgow
Glasgow G12 8QQ
Filed under: Art & artists Glasgow West End, Art, Photography, Exhibitions what's on-glasgow, Galleries, Pat's Home Page Blog, What's On Glasgow West End: cinema, clubs, theatre, music, events, festivals, community and more
- Anti Racist Group Woodlands Community
- Balloch Open Mic Blog: Dora Wright
- Rigging Hill, Largs. October 2021
- Graeme Macrae Burnet – Glasgow Writer
- Mika & Me Eyewear Glasgow
- Glasgow Open House Arts Festival 2021
- Volunteer Led Bike Ride
- St Andrew’s Day– Torchlight Parade
- Ghost Signs Glasgow Exhibition Tour
- West End Festival 2021
- Family Weekender at Websters
- Screening: It’s Not All Rock and Roll
- Glasgow’s Golden Generation – October Bunjee Jump
- The Sorries at Cottiers
- Gathering the Seeds, Woodlands Community
- Anna H. Geerdes – Borderline Exhibition
- Glasgow Doors Open Day 2021 – Arlington Baths Club
- Lizzie Reid at King Tut’s Wah Wah Hut
- Big Tunes at the Bandstand – Kelvingrove, Glasgow
- Poetry Launch Party – Jim Ferguson and Kirsty Taylor