Unbuilt Mackintosh, The Hunterian
8 March – 3 June 2018
Unbuilt Mackintosh showcases stunning architectural models based on the unbuilt designs of Scottish architect, designer and artist Charles Rennie Mackintosh (1868-1928). Demonstrating Mackintosh’s architectural vision, the models have been crafted by current Scottish model makers, with their precise dimensions meticulously drawn from Mackintosh’s drawings and documentation.
The display combines models on loan from Glasgow Mackintosh with items from The Hunterian collection.
Part of Mackintosh 150 – a year-long programme of events to mark the 150th anniversary of the birth of Charles Rennie Mackintosh.
Unbuilt Mackintosh is a 3D tribute to unbuilt designs by the widely celebrated Scottish architect, designer and artist Charles Rennie Mackintosh (1868-1928). The twelve models exhibited, commissioned by The Hunterian and the Glasgow Mackintosh group, were crafted by current Scottish model makers to bring Mackintosh’s unbuilt projects to life.
Highly influential and internationally recognised, Mackintosh made great contributions to the architectural heritage of his native city with notable structures such as The Glasgow School of Art, Queen’s Cross Church and Scotland Street School.
Yet his thirty years of practice saw the completion of only fourteen buildings.
Concentrating on projects that never went past the drawing board, Unbuilt Mackintosh aims to visually represent his wider contributions to architecture.
Image: Charles Rennie Mackintosh, Design for 1901 Glasgow International Exhibition Buildings Competition: sections and plans for a concert hall, bar, dining room and bridge, 1898.
Hunterian Art Gallery
82 Hillhead Street
University of Glasgow
Glasgow G12 8QQ
Filed under: Art & artists Glasgow West End, Art, Photography, Exhibitions what's on-glasgow, Galleries, Pat's Home Page Blog, What's On Glasgow West End: cinema, clubs, theatre, music, events, festivals, community and more
- Carols in the Cloisters
- Christmas Fayre Gallowgate
- Coorie In at Glasgow Botanic Gardens
- Christmas Come and Sing, University of Glasgow Choir
- Black Pudding Day
- The Nancy Smillie Shop – Glasgow West End
- Friday Focus: Scottish Art Acquisitions
- Panto: A Crackin Cinderella Story at Websters
- Cottiers – Bar, Restaurant, Theatre, Glasgow West End
- White Christmas – Andre Rieu
- Eileen at GFT
- We Dare To Dream + Q and A at GFT
- Preview: Earth Mama plus Q and A
- Maestro at GFT
- Fallen Leaves
- Elf at IMAX Glasgow and Glasgow Science Centre Galleries
- Cinemasters: Powell and Pressburger GFT
- Take 2: Trolls Band Together
- Oppenheimer at GFT 70mm
- It’s a Wonderful Life GFT