Thistle Gallery: Distinctive and Diverse Duo Put on Quite A Show…… Feb 25 until Mar 12, 2017
Distinctive and Diverse Duo
Put on Quite A Show……
Thistle Gallery is featuring the work of two accomplished Glasgow artists and friends, Ian Elliot and Ian McWhinnie, in a two week exhibition from February 25th until March 12th.
Featuring over 40 remarkable oil paintings and ceramics this is a superb opportunity for discerning art lovers to appreciate two talented artists’ inspirations and techniques.
Versatile Ian’s interpretation of these subjects is highly personal – selecting, highlighting, omitting and exaggerating until he gets a satisfying outcome. He is happy to be expressive in colour and in composition.
‘Art,’ he says ‘is a development of life, not a copy of it!’
Now he generally works in oil on canvas but in the early stages of his artistic career watercolour was his choice, however, he couldn’t get the vibrant colours that oils can give.
‘I get great pleasure in painting….most of the time ….and even greater pleasure in people appreciating my work.’
Well known figurative artist Ian McWhinnie’s subject matter is from an accumulation of images from memories, drawings and photographs gathered from travels and observations. Ian uses these images to compose paintings which have a sense of mystery. The figures in the paintings have an anonymity and over the years have become almost like dramatic characters in a performance.
Originally Ian used these images in ceramics but, over time, he developed them into paintings.
‘Working between the two mediums has been productive with one complementing and contrasting with the other: the imagery for the ceramics is much more stylised in order to enhance the form of each piece.’
- New Patterns for Paisley, Paisley Book Festival
- What It Means To Overcome – Paisley Film Festival
- Paisley Book Festival – A Kist of Thistles
- Film Festival Institut Francais
- How Does It Feel To Be Loved – Virtual Dance Party
- Interactive Map – Global Burns Suppers
- The Burns Supper Addressed Burns Centre University of Glasgow
- Hannah Lavery Creative Conversations
- The Acoustic Night Special Nice ‘n’ Sleazy
- The World I Fell Out Of – Melanie Reid
- Vivian French and The Giant’s Tea Party
- COP26 Global Event In Glasgow – Seeks Volunteers
- Fright Fest Glasgow Film Festival Online 2021
- Believe in Scotland Virtual Burns Supper
- A Virtual Burns Night Edinburgh Castle
- Burns Celebration Online Tannahill Centre
- Janey Godley’s Big Burns Supper Online
- Paisley Book Festival 2021 – Online
- Bemis – Celtic Connections in the Community
- Opening Celebration Concert Celtic Connections Online 2021