Thistle Gallery: Distinctive and Diverse Duo Put on Quite A Show…… Feb 25 until Mar 12, 2017
Distinctive and Diverse Duo
Put on Quite A Show……
Thistle Gallery is featuring the work of two accomplished Glasgow artists and friends, Ian Elliot and Ian McWhinnie, in a two week exhibition from February 25th until March 12th.
Featuring over 40 remarkable oil paintings and ceramics this is a superb opportunity for discerning art lovers to appreciate two talented artists’ inspirations and techniques.
Versatile Ian’s interpretation of these subjects is highly personal – selecting, highlighting, omitting and exaggerating until he gets a satisfying outcome. He is happy to be expressive in colour and in composition.
‘Art,’ he says ‘is a development of life, not a copy of it!’
Now he generally works in oil on canvas but in the early stages of his artistic career watercolour was his choice, however, he couldn’t get the vibrant colours that oils can give.
‘I get great pleasure in painting….most of the time ….and even greater pleasure in people appreciating my work.’
Well known figurative artist Ian McWhinnie’s subject matter is from an accumulation of images from memories, drawings and photographs gathered from travels and observations. Ian uses these images to compose paintings which have a sense of mystery. The figures in the paintings have an anonymity and over the years have become almost like dramatic characters in a performance.
Originally Ian used these images in ceramics but, over time, he developed them into paintings.
‘Working between the two mediums has been productive with one complementing and contrasting with the other: the imagery for the ceramics is much more stylised in order to enhance the form of each piece.’
- Book Week Scotland 2019: Kerry Hudson
- Spot The Signs Renfrewshire
- The Greatest Hits, Mental Health Fundraiser
- The Big Talk, Men and Mental Health at The Ice Box
- Befriending Food Experience Celebrate St Andrew’s Day
- Glasgow Hospitals Christmas Concert 2019 Royal Concert Hall
- Book launch: The Light Acknowledgers by Gerry Cambridge
- Telling Invents Told Lis Rhodes
- Winter Fine Art and Antiques Auction, Great Western Auction
- Thomas A Clark: Poet Artist Curator at Creative Converstions
- Charlie Gracie, Donal McLaughlin and Finola Scott CCA
- Artists Moving Image Festival The Tramway
- The Lying King – Glasgow Christmas 2019
- First a Girl, GFT
- Miles Davis: Birth of the Cool GFT
- 2040 at GFT
- Pity Party Film Club I Shot Andy Warhol CCA
- Queer Classics & Matchbox Cineclub City of Lost Souls CCA
- Alan Ereira ALUNA – screening and talk CCA
- Cooking Pot Biting the Hand that Feeds, CCA