Thistle Gallery: Distinctive and Diverse Duo Put on Quite A Show…… Feb 25 until Mar 12, 2017
Distinctive and Diverse Duo
Put on Quite A Show……
Thistle Gallery is featuring the work of two accomplished Glasgow artists and friends, Ian Elliot and Ian McWhinnie, in a two week exhibition from February 25th until March 12th.
Featuring over 40 remarkable oil paintings and ceramics this is a superb opportunity for discerning art lovers to appreciate two talented artists’ inspirations and techniques.
Versatile Ian’s interpretation of these subjects is highly personal – selecting, highlighting, omitting and exaggerating until he gets a satisfying outcome. He is happy to be expressive in colour and in composition.
‘Art,’ he says ‘is a development of life, not a copy of it!’
Now he generally works in oil on canvas but in the early stages of his artistic career watercolour was his choice, however, he couldn’t get the vibrant colours that oils can give.
‘I get great pleasure in painting….most of the time ….and even greater pleasure in people appreciating my work.’
Well known figurative artist Ian McWhinnie’s subject matter is from an accumulation of images from memories, drawings and photographs gathered from travels and observations. Ian uses these images to compose paintings which have a sense of mystery. The figures in the paintings have an anonymity and over the years have become almost like dramatic characters in a performance.
Originally Ian used these images in ceramics but, over time, he developed them into paintings.
‘Working between the two mediums has been productive with one complementing and contrasting with the other: the imagery for the ceramics is much more stylised in order to enhance the form of each piece.’
- Candlelight Spoken Word Open Mic
- The Flying Dug Quiz Night, Glasgow
- Wakeful Screening at CCA
- The Siren Awakes by Linda Jackson, West End Launch
- Celtic Connections 2020 Hannah Read and Andy Monaghan review by Fionnuala Boyle
- Opening and Closing Galas announced for Glasgow Film Festival 2020
- Celine and Julie Go Boating, GFT
- First events announced for Glasgow Film Festival 2020
- Different from Others with Illustrated Talk, GFT
- Finish Exposure Films from the Arctic
- Waves GFT
- Bombshell GFT
- Chinese Visual Festival 2020
- Coastal Connections Festival 2020 review and photography by Pauline Keightley
- Preview: Parasite + Satellite Q&A with Bong Joon-ho-GFT
- Bohemia Bespoke Vintage Wedding Fair
- Cottiers Burns Supper and Ceilidh
- Burns Night (excellent)
- Burns Night Ceilidh, Stereo
- This is not a Burns Night – Dance of the Underclass