Thistle Gallery: Distinctive and Diverse Duo Put on Quite A Show…… Feb 25 until Mar 12, 2017
Distinctive and Diverse Duo
Put on Quite A Show……
Thistle Gallery is featuring the work of two accomplished Glasgow artists and friends, Ian Elliot and Ian McWhinnie, in a two week exhibition from February 25th until March 12th.
Featuring over 40 remarkable oil paintings and ceramics this is a superb opportunity for discerning art lovers to appreciate two talented artists’ inspirations and techniques.
Versatile Ian’s interpretation of these subjects is highly personal – selecting, highlighting, omitting and exaggerating until he gets a satisfying outcome. He is happy to be expressive in colour and in composition.
‘Art,’ he says ‘is a development of life, not a copy of it!’
Now he generally works in oil on canvas but in the early stages of his artistic career watercolour was his choice, however, he couldn’t get the vibrant colours that oils can give.
‘I get great pleasure in painting….most of the time ….and even greater pleasure in people appreciating my work.’
Well known figurative artist Ian McWhinnie’s subject matter is from an accumulation of images from memories, drawings and photographs gathered from travels and observations. Ian uses these images to compose paintings which have a sense of mystery. The figures in the paintings have an anonymity and over the years have become almost like dramatic characters in a performance.
Originally Ian used these images in ceramics but, over time, he developed them into paintings.
‘Working between the two mediums has been productive with one complementing and contrasting with the other: the imagery for the ceramics is much more stylised in order to enhance the form of each piece.’
- Online Quiz Night with Duglus T Stewart
- Sammy’s Lockdown #5
- Aly Bain and Phil Cunningham at Cottiers
- Lockdown Video – Mic Clark
- Scottish Writers Showcase 2 Creative Conversations
- Calypso Windrush Caribbean Film Festival
- SHA Virtual Kiltwalk Weekend 2020
- La Belle et la Bête – Open Air Screening
- Scottish Writers Creative Conversation Showcase
- Smokehead Sessions: Dave Arcari – full concert livestream
- Vegan Cookery Workshop
- Art in Nature: Make a Mandala
- Researching Scotland’s Mountain Women: National Library of Scotland
- Blues ‘n’ Twos with Dave Arcari
- Sonnet Youth Social Club #2
- Sleep Workshops Woodlands Community
- Book Launch: New Shoots Old Roots (2)
- Duglus T Stewart – Dreaded Light Composer
- SEE YOU IN 10 YEARS WRITING COMPETITION for Teenagers
- Record Store Day – Love Music Glasgow