The Cage – Live From Gaza – Al Qafas Monday 17 August, 2015 Edinburgh Fringe
The Cage – Live From Gaza – Al Qafas
Monday 17 August, 2015 – 8 p.m.
Stand in the Square (Venue 372) St Andrew Square EH2 2AD
Welcome To The Fringe is Delighted to announce that on Mon 17th of August we have a Live satellite broadcast from GAZA of ‘THE CAGE’ by ASHTAR THEATRE Co.
THE CAGE is a play about Hanin, a Palestinian girl who lost her mother in the 51-day war. Not only has she lost her mother, but she was also badly injured and needs to travel to Egypt as soon as possible for medical attention. But for now she’s in one of the shelters with her father and uncle.
The play describes the situation in the shelters, the experiences for those that have lost loved ones and their homes, and the hypocrisy of official authorities who pretend to care about people’s situation during the war.
With humour and daring the play has drawn much attention in Gaza.
Amjad Abu Yassin, the 22-year-old actor who plays Abu Saber, told Al-Monitor: “I’m shocked by the public’s reaction. We feel that the people yearn for the theater. This is what the Gaza Strip needs. It needs to unwind through art.”
The show starts at 8pm at The Stand in The Square and will be introduced by RAJA SHEHADEH and TOMMY SHEPPARD MP. Tickets are available here: http://www.thestand.co.uk/fringe/show/2294/the_cage_by_ashtar_theatre_company
This evening is possible with the generous support of the Birtish Council and the Rosa Luxemburg Stiftung Office in Palestine.
RAJA SHEHADEH is a palestinian lawyer, author, and human rights campaigner. He has published several books and is a recipient of the Orwell Prize.
TOMMY SHEPPARD is an SNP member of parliament and also a member of SNP Friends of Palestine. He is also well known for running the stand comedy clubs and a host of Fringe venues.
Tickets available from www.thestand.co.uk
This event is the first in a week of shows from Palestine culminating in Palestine Day at the Forest Fringe Events on Facebook
This section: Events, Fairs, Festivals and Fundraisers
Filed under: Events, Fairs, Festivals and Fundraisers
- Hairspray, Beatson Gin and Sing
- Glasgow South Side Wellbeing Fair
- Vinicombe Street Party 2022
- Mansfield Park Street Festival
- Glasgow Mela 2022
- Glasgow West End – Summer Events 2022
- Performers at Glasgow Jazz Festival 2022
- Glasgow Science Festival 2022
- Aye Write: The Kavya Prize
- Particle Wave – Glasgow Science Festival 2022
- Glasgow Contemporary Art Fair 2022
- Aye Write: MORE FIYA: A Celebration of Black British Poetry with Kayo Chingonyi, Janette Ayachi and Dean Atta
- 21st Anniversary of the Millennium Link – Maryhill Locks
- Aye Write 2022: Introducing Debut Authors
- Aye Write: Douglas Bruton introduces…Kenny Boyle, Claire Alexander, Adrian Keefe and Charlie Roy
- Aye Write: Karen Campbell Introduces… Kirsty Capes, Louise Nealon and Emily Edwards
- Aye Write: Matthew Keeley Introduces… Liam Konemann, Julie Owen Moylan and James Cahill
- The Great May Day Cabaret at OranMor
- Plant Sale supporting Christian Aid
- Wee Write 2022