The Art of Words, Thistle Gallery, 7 June, 2018
Fundraiser for Macmillan Cancer Support
Thursday, June 7th, 2018 – 7 p.m. until 9.30 p.m.
Wine / Raffle/ Canapes – Tickets £15
Part of West End Festival
Accomplished author Graeme Macrae Burnet (His Bloody Project) will be reading extracts from his novels and chatting about his inspirations and techniques.
Renowned poet Jane Bonnyman will read some of her profound poems and Gillean McDougall, the Editor of the Honest Error collection, with poets from the Group will perform renditions of their powerful work.
Then two short story writers Samina Chaudry and James Connarty will read from their work…..share their stories which appear in the popular book ‘Ten Writers, Telling Lies’.
Telephone Thistle Gallery for tickets: 0141 334 3444
For the Love of Art
‘We decided to explore the symbiotic relationship between Art and Literature in our remarkable new Exhibition which runs from June 2nd to 24th as part of the West End Festival.
The concept has been percolating for nearly a year and now we are delighted to say that twenty leading Scottish Contemporary Artists have more than risen to the challenge with a remarkable body of work which Previews on Saturday, June 2nd between 11am and 6pm.
Sylvia von Hartmann, Jackie Henderson, Stanley Bird, Denise Findlay, Paul Kennedy, Fiona Millar, Julie Coulter, Ian Rawnsley, Gregory Moore, Gail Stirling Robertson, Alexa Hope, Drew Mackie, Eileen MacAlister, Clare Spencer, David Murray, Stan Milne, Jilly Henderson, Gillian Sim, Amanda Johnson, Dorte Pape, and Robyn Kinsman Blake.
Through the mediums of painting, ceramics, glass, textiles and jewellery each artist explains their inspirations found in books, short stories and poems discovering along the way that ‘Literature, is in itself, an art.’
To fully interpret the links between the two key elements of the Show the Gallery is hosting two exciting Charity Events in aid of Macmillan Cancer Support. So if you love Art and Words then do please join us for a memorable evening celebrating both! As well as wine and canapés there will be a raffle and your chance to win a superb painting by popular artist Jackie Henderson entitled ‘The Secret Garden’.
Filed under: Art & artists Glasgow West End, Art, Photography, Exhibitions what's on-glasgow, Books, Talks, Poetry and Creative Writing Events, Events, Fairs, Festivals and Fundraisers, Ten Writers Telling Lies, West End Festival Glasgow
- Murder at the Mela by Leela Soma
- Bloody Scotland 2020 – Debut Shortlist and McIlvanney Prize Longlist
- Summer Art Sessions Woodlands Community
- Sonnet Youth Social Club
- Food Truck and Craft Beer Festival Rouken Glen
- Anna (Young Adults Book) by Laura Guthrie
- A Northern Extravaganza with Shetlandic Poets Christie Williamson and Roseann Watt
- World Refugee Day Saturday 20 June, 2020
- French Film Festival UK November – December 2020
- Creative Pollination: Exploration and Creative Writing Woodlands Community
- Ghazal: the phone – poem by Rizwan Akhtar
- ‘Doors tae Naewye’ poetry by Christie Williamson
- Blessed Assurance by Stewart Ennis
- In Times of Self-Isolation poem by Rizwan Akhtar
- Stuck in the Suburbs – Refuweegee
- The Poets’ Time – weekly meetings with Linda Jackson on Zoom
- A Celebration of Birds: Sharing stories, memories and hope
- Makar to Makar, Jackie Kay with Imtiaz Dharker and Suzanne Bonnar
- Life is too short online readings and recorded performances
- ‘A Handful of Dates’ Africa in Motion Online