Stitched – Textile Exhibition, ProjectAbility
25th February – 1st April, 2023
Opening times: 11am – 5pm, Wednesday – Saturday
Project Ability Gallery, Trongate 103, Glasgow, G1 5HD
Project Ability presents its first ever Textile Exhibition ‘STITCHED’
For this exhibition a select few artists were invited to make new work. There is a wonderful mix of exhibitors, including Doreen Kay and Cameron Morgan, who are both long-time Project Ability artists. Elie Coutts is a textile artist working in Shetland. Tzipporah Johnston is a neurodivergent textile based artist working in Glasgow. Also participating is a small group of artists from Edinburgh at the Garvald studios.
There is a playful mix of work going on in this exhibition. From Tzipporah Johnston’s exquisitely created 3-dimensional textile works featuring eyes peering out at you from within glass domes, to the more traditional embroidery which hangs on the walls. Doreen Kay’s cats and birds have been lovingly stitched onto felt and canvas and show the softer side of a textile practice. Cameron Morgan’s style comes through in his wonderful embroidered artworks; ranging from bugs, birds and insects and crossing over to many well known and loved film and music stars such as Elvis, Laurel and Hardy, Batman and Robin and Wonder Woman!
This textile exhibition will be a delightful feast for the eyes and will show audiences several different techniques and styles for working with embroidery, thread and needle.
*Embroidered eye by Tzipporah Johnston
Project Ability creates opportunities through inclusive art for all. Since 1984, the project has been supporting, celebrating and platforming diversity within the contemporary visual arts sector. Based in Glasgow in the award winning Trongate 103, they provide a welcoming arts community for people with learning disabilities and mental ill-health. ProjectAbility provides the space and expertise to allow them to express themselves, build confidence and achieve their potential.
Create (children and young people with disabilities aged 5-28)
Aspire (adults with learning disabilities)
ReConnect (people with lived experience of mental ill health)
- Christmas Fayre Gallowgate
- Christmas Come and Sing, University of Glasgow Choir
- Black Pudding Day
- The Nancy Smillie Shop – Glasgow West End
- Friday Focus: Scottish Art Acquisitions
- Cottiers – Bar, Restaurant, Theatre, Glasgow West End
- Arthur’s Christmas Tale in aid of Shelter Scotland
- The Tell Tale Rooms with Andrew Kötting
- Glasgow Film Festival – Year of Celebration
- Winter at Secession Bar, Websters
- Kelvingrove Christmas Market 2023
- Mother India – Glasgow
- Christmas 2023 – University of Glasgow Memorial Chapel
- Wasps Winter Market 2023
- Christmas Craft Fayre – Golden Friendships
- Christmas Concert, Child Bereavement, Cottiers
- Night Market at Cottiers
- Artists’ Christmas Fayre
- Focus Hong Kong
- French Film Festival 2023 at GFT