The Square, Broomhill, Glasgow – Restaurant Review by Mary Irvine
‘Breakfast, full Scottish to light? Morning coffee with homemade buns/cake? Late up? Try the brunch, great selection. Lunch (business or pleasure) with soups, sandwiches, light plates. A comprehensive á la carte menu for dinner. Festive fare available. All reasonably priced. The children’s menu incredible value. Pleasant surroundings, discreet lighting, a mixture of banquettes and tables, fully licensed, very welcoming staff, efficient without being obsequious. Dog friendly. It even has its own parking – a real bonus. Does this place exist? Yes, it does! ‘The Square’ Broomhill’
Lunch at The Square
Pat and I recently had lunch there. We both opted for soups as it was a wee bit nippy outside. Pat had sweet potato and cinnamon, delicious. I chose the mixed fish. I’m a fishy person. This was one of the tastiest fish soups I’ve had outside of Greece! For main Pat had braised ox cheek which she’d never tasted before. She was most appreciative, finished it all up. I chose to have two starters instead of a main. One was glazed goat’s cheese served on rosemary croutons with salad and orange segments. Mouth-watering. The other was grilled haloumi with salad. Impressed that haloumi was seared without destroying its succulence. Add cheesy to fishy person!
Having indulged ourselves we thought about sharing a dessert but Pat went for the Custard Nutmeg Tart with Strawberry Sorbet whist I had the Xmas Pud with Orange Anglaise, both from the Festive Menu. All the food was well presented but not pretentiously so. We finished with coffees – in large cups. A very pleasant dining experience.
Check out the website; peruse the menus and then Book!
Review by Mary Irvine
- World Food Day 2020 – Propogate Scotland
- Mother India Cafe & Open for Takeaway and Uber Eats
- Cottiers – Book a Table
- Mary Irvine’s Blog: Emmett Till – How Far Have We Come…
- Glasgow West End Restaurants – Eat Out to Help Out
- Mary Irvine: What Did You Do In Lockdown 2020?
- Tchai Ovna House of Tea Takeaway
- Mary Irvine’s Blog: ‘Troy’ Exhibition at the British Museum
- Kothel Crow Road – boxes of daily selected fruit and veg
- Mary Irvine’s blog: Tutankhamun – Treasures of the Golden Pharaoh
- Cottiers – Bar, Restaurant, Theatre, Glasgow West End
- Mary Irvine: Closer than we thought
- Mary Irvine: Revived Controversy
- Mary Irvine blogging about a break
- An Unwanted Gift by Mary Irvine
- Mother India – Take Away Menus
- Celebrating Women – Fundraiser at Eusebi
- Cuba Libre Valentine’s Day Fiesta at Cottiers
- Cottiers Burns Supper and Ceilidh
- Burns Night (excellent)