Southside Film Festival 2017: 2 – 4 June, 2017
2nd – 4th June 2017
Bringing film back to the Southside
This year’s Southside Film Festival – brings you screenings in a yurt, to artist film in the beautiful House for an Art Lover – most definitely something for everyone! The Ethereal Wireless of the Dreaming Mind
Opening with a bang, creak and a clatter, guests are invited to cautiously tiptoe to Pollok House on Friday 2nd June for the atmospheric opening screening of 1961 psychological thriller – The Innocents. Ranked by Martin Scorsese as one of the scariest films, the screening will be preceded by a two course meal & glass of wine served in the servant’s quarters.
The festival has collaborated with Queen’s Park Camera Club for a screening on Friday 2nd June of Kirsten Johnson’s critically acclaimed and self-reflective Cameraperson.
Back at Pollokshaws Burgh Hall on Sunday 4th June with the chance to see Safety Last! This rarely screened silent film classic – starring the comic genius Harold Lloyd – will be accompanied by a live score on the Wurlitzer cinema organ (courtesy of Scottish Cinema Organ Trust).
Take a trip down memory lane on Saturday 3rd at Last Day of the Trams – in partnership with Tramway. The event will show archive footage of the last day of the trams in Glasgow accompanied by a specially commissioned and original score by Govanhill based band, Machines in Heaven.
Don’t miss MAVIS! at the Glad Cafe, Saturday 3rd – the first documentary on gospel/ soul music legend and civil rights icon Mavis Staples. Featuring powerful live performances, rare archival footage and conversations with contemporaries such as Bob Dylan and Prince.
As always filmmakers are supported through Southside Filmmaker Award. Come along to the Glad Cafe on Sunday 4th to see some local talent and vote for your favourite film!
About the Festival
‘Southside Film Festival was launched in 2011 as a response to the lack of local cinema in the Southside of Glasgow. We screen a range of different films from all over the world including the work of local Southside filmmakers. Screenings occur throughout the year with an annual event or festival taking place all over the Southside – wherever we can put up a screen, we will! We are a community interest company and are volunteer run by people who are passionate about film and having a positive impact on their community.’
- Books at the Botanics, Christmas 2019
- It’s A Wonderful Life GFT
- Take 2: How the Grinch Stole Christmas, GFT
- The Bolshoi Ballet Encore: The Nutcracker GFT
- Her Smell, GFT
- The Kingmaker, GFT
- Cottiers – Bar, Restaurant, Theatre, Glasgow West End
- Are We In A Book – book launch The Dram
- Christmas Carousel The Platform
- Stevenson Jewellers Glasgow West End
- Future Glue Christmas Party
- The Sensational Alex Harvey Experience Christmas & New Year Party
- Project Ability Christmas Show 2019
- The Flying Dug Quiz Night, Glasgow
- Kirsteen Harvey Live, Cottiers
- I Am A Rohinga Creative Conversations
- A Lad in Maryhill, Pantomime, Maryhill 2019
- Karen Campbell: Novelist at Creative Conversations
- Oscar Marzaroli Exhibition Streetworks
- Christmas at Glasgow Film Theatre 2019