The Other Side of Hope, GFT, 26 May – 8 June, 2017
Six years after the sublime, award-winning Le Havre, Aki Kaurismäki returns with the second film in a planned trilogy focusing on port cities. Kaurismäki regular Sakari Kuosmanen stars as Wikström, a poker-playing restaurateur and former travelling salesman who crosses paths with a Syrian refugee (Sherwan Haji) who has just arrived in Finland. Shot on 35mm in Helsinki by Timo Salminen, The Other Side of Hope offers topicality, deadpan humour and plaintive emotions as Kaurismäki tackles one of the most pressing global issues: the plight of the refugee.
Specially commissioned programme notes will be available.
GFT, 12 Rose St, G3 6RB
- Glasgow Film Festival 2020 at CCA
- Dardishi Festival at CCA
- Alasdair Gray: A Life in Progress GFT
- Parasite GFT
- National Library of Scotland Kelvin Hall – World Thinking Day
- Love Sarah, Glasgow Film Festival
- The Public, GFT
- Little Joe, GFT
- Greed GFT
- Lost Transmissions, Glasgow Film Festival 2020
- The Whistlers, Glasgow Film Festival 2020
- The IASSIDD Exhibition ProjectAbility
- New Works Festival at Websters Theatre
- Rabbie: Scotland’s Superstar – Websters Theatre
- International Women’s Day – #EachforEqual: What Difference Does a Decade Make?
- Glasgow Film Festival 2020: Jazz On A Summer’s Day
- Glasgow Film Festival 2020, Disco
- East Dunbartonshire Schools Jazz Orchestra and Percussion Ensemble Easter Concert
- Cottiers Pub Quiz
- Tram Direct presents ‘Islets of Silence’ (The C Word)