Sorry We Missed You, GFT
1 – 14 November, 2019
Three years after I, Daniel Blake, Ken Loach and his long-term collaborators (screenwriter Paul Laverty and producer Rebecca O’Brien) return with another devastatingly powerful portrait of contemporary Britain.
The 2008 financial crash cost Ricky, a father of two, both his work in construction and his mortgage – but a better future may be around the corner.
When a promising opportunity as a freelance delivery driver presents itself, Ricky persuades his wife Abby, who works as a carer for the elderly, to sell the car she uses to rush from ‘client’ to ‘client’ to finance the van’s purchase.
Having never been on the dole, Ricky is confident his work ethics will see him through. As a self-employed ‘owner-driver franchisee’ however, every minor setback or delay triggers a fine, with no recourse and no second chances. Abby faces equally exploitative pressures in her zero-hour-contract job and, under the weight of relentless schedules and rising debts, their family life is soon pushed to breaking point.
Sorry We Missed You is both an intimate family drama and an angry, meticulously researched indictment of a callous, inhumane economic system.
GFT 12 Rose Street, G3 6RB
This section: Cinema
Filed under: Cinema
- Artists Moving Image Festival The Tramway
- First a Girl, GFT
- Miles Davis: Birth of the Cool GFT
- 2040 at GFT
- Pity Party Film Club I Shot Andy Warhol CCA
- Queer Classics & Matchbox Cineclub City of Lost Souls CCA
- Alan Ereira ALUNA – screening and talk CCA
- Cooking Pot Biting the Hand that Feeds, CCA
- UK Jewish Film Festival 2019 at GFT Glasgow
- Leona GFT
- Depeche Mode Spirits in the Forest
- Michael Hutchence: Mystify GFT
- Havana Film Festival 2019
- It’s A Wonderful Life Seamore Neighbourhood Cinema Glasgow
- First events announced for Glasgow Film Festival 2020
- After the Wedding, GFT
- Luce, GFT
- Matchbox Cineclub Best of Final Girls Berlin 2019 CCA
- Then And Now & What Could Be: Housing Rights & Solidarity CCA
- Libre / To the Four Winds Alliance Francaise Glasgow