Sorry We Missed You, GFT
1 – 14 November, 2019
Three years after I, Daniel Blake, Ken Loach and his long-term collaborators (screenwriter Paul Laverty and producer Rebecca O’Brien) return with another devastatingly powerful portrait of contemporary Britain.
The 2008 financial crash cost Ricky, a father of two, both his work in construction and his mortgage – but a better future may be around the corner.
When a promising opportunity as a freelance delivery driver presents itself, Ricky persuades his wife Abby, who works as a carer for the elderly, to sell the car she uses to rush from ‘client’ to ‘client’ to finance the van’s purchase.
Having never been on the dole, Ricky is confident his work ethics will see him through. As a self-employed ‘owner-driver franchisee’ however, every minor setback or delay triggers a fine, with no recourse and no second chances. Abby faces equally exploitative pressures in her zero-hour-contract job and, under the weight of relentless schedules and rising debts, their family life is soon pushed to breaking point.
Sorry We Missed You is both an intimate family drama and an angry, meticulously researched indictment of a callous, inhumane economic system.
GFT 12 Rose Street, G3 6RB
This section: Cinema
Filed under: Cinema
- Glasgow Film Festival 2020 at CCA
- Glasgow Film Festival: Roy’s World: Barry Gifford’s Chicago, CCA
- Glasgow Film Festival 2020 Our Ladies
- Moments of Resistance by Femspectives
- Iberodocs Lisbon Beat CCA
- Glasgow Film Festival: Master Cheng
- Glasgow Film Festival 2020: Heroic Losers
- Bacurau, Glasgow Film Festival 2020
- Take 2: Spies in Disguise, GFT
- Dardishi Festival at CCA
- Alasdair Gray: A Life in Progress GFT
- Parasite GFT
- National Library of Scotland Kelvin Hall – World Thinking Day
- Love Sarah, Glasgow Film Festival
- The Public, GFT
- Little Joe, GFT
- Greed GFT
- Lost Transmissions, Glasgow Film Festival 2020
- The Whistlers, Glasgow Film Festival 2020
- Glasgow Film Festival 2020 Secret Location: Final Destination