Slint, Arches, Fri 15 Aug 2014
Arches, 253 Argyle Street, G2 *DL
Fri 15 Aug 2014 | 7pm – 10pm | £18.50 + £1.85 booking fee
In a rare UK appearance, seminal Louisville post-rock band Slint come to The Arches for their only Scottish date of 2014, playing their classic album, Spiderland.
Released in 1991 by Touch & Go Records, Slint’s 1991 masterpiece has come to be regarded as an important early touchstone for the ‘post-rock’ and ‘math-rock’ genres, inspiring a generation of musicians, from Godspeeed You! Black Emperor to Explosions In The Sky, Tortoise, and Mogwai. Re-mastered and re-released this year, the band will be playing a small clutch of dates in the UK to mark the 25th anniversary of its original release.
Formed in Louisville, Kentucky in the late 1980s, and having split following the release of Spiderland, Slint re-formed in 2005 to play All Tomorrow’s Parties. In the years since, they have toured intermittently, playing select dates, and cementing their legacy as one of the key bands of the booming 1990s alternative rock scene. This year, they have also been the subject of an intimate documentary, Breadcrumb Trail, from journalist and long-time fan Lance Bangs.
The full original lineup will be in attendance for their 2014 tour, with founding members David Pajo (guitar), Britt Walford (drums and vocals) and Brian McMahan (guitar and vocals), and Spiderland-era bassist Todd Brashear. Playing tracks from Spiderland and their Steve Albini-produced debut Tweez, the band arrive after a critically-acclaimed tour throughout Europe and the US, which has seen them play headline slots at festivals such as Primavera and ATP Iceland.
From the yearning, understated folk of Washer, to the menacing spoken word vocals and shuddering walls of guitar noise that comprise Good Morning Captain, Spiderland remains a towering achievement, one of the most important albums of the 1990s. Slint, largely unknown in their heyday, are now one of the most admired and influential bands in US alternative rock. Come and experience the power and majesty of their sound at one of Scotland’s most unique live music venues.
This section: Gig Guide plus Club Events
Filed under: Gig Guide plus Club Events
- Cottiers – Bar, Restaurant, Theatre, Glasgow West End
- Christmas Carousel The Platform
- Future Glue Christmas Party
- The Sensational Alex Harvey Experience Christmas & New Year Party
- Kirsteen Harvey Live, Cottiers
- Sounds in the Suburbs presents Leventime: A Celebration of Jackie Leven
- Glasgow Hospitals Christmas Concert 2019 Royal Concert Hall
- Irish fiddle player Michael Gorman Cd launch and Concert to celebrate his Glasgow connection
- Martin Stephenson & The Daintees OranMor
- Cottiers has Talent this Christmas
- A Very Buble Christmas at Cottiers
- SongWriters Uncovered Series 2019
- Fairytale of Glasgow
- Birds of Chicago The Doublet Glasgow
- Scottish Writers’ Centre From bytes to bestseller with Jonathan Whitelaw
- Guttersnipe at the Old Hairdressers
- One Night at The Disco, Riverside Museum
- The Long Ryders at OranMor
- Maria Doyle Kennedy, Cottiers
- Hang Massive at OranMor, Glasgow