Sasha-Kate Robb, Winner Scots Poetry Recital Championship, 2014. Hyndland School.
“Eh’ma pizza, a magic pizza, bein’ stuck in the freezer’s a scunner..!” – was all the parents of Sasha-Kate heard for weeks and weeks as she practiced for her “Scots Poetry” school competition celebrating Rabbie Burns’ Day at Hyndland Primary School in Glasgow’s West End.
Sasha-Kate, who is in P4, picked the poem called “The Magic Pizza” by Alison Fitt because she was certain it would make people in her school laugh – and making people smile is what Sasha enjoys most. She acted out the entire poem with clever dramatic interpretation and a strong emphasis on Scottish words familiar to children of her age. Her loud and very memorable performance on the school stage impressed the entire school, parents and the judges of the competition.
As a P4 pupil competing against the kids from years 4-7, Sasha-Kate had always said that other kids were very good, but she was just very happy to participate in the show and represent her class. Her classmates were all in the audience to support her at the event.
Little did she know, that the her hard work and persistent practicing in front of her family – almost every night standing on a chair – would win her the trophy of the “Scots Poetry Recital” championship P4-P7 for the year 2014!
And guess where she wanted to go for a celebratory treat? Out for a Pizza!
Well Done Sasha, you’ve made your parents so proud!
Here’s what John Robertson M.P., who was one of the judges, had to say:
“The variety, depth and quality of the recitals by all the young people, of all year groups, is a great credit to the pupils and all the staff in the school.”
- Halloween Window Wanderland Anderston
- Halloween Apocalypse Glasgow
- Window Wanderland – Windows of Wonder Glasgow
- Loch Lomond Faerie Trail, Halloween 2020
- The Haunted Concert Hall
- Glasgow Science Centre Spooktacular 2020
- Science on the Sofa – Activities for Kids
- Fly your flag in Woodlands!
- Govanhill International Festival 2020
- Edinburgh Book Festival Julia Donaldson, Axel Scheffler and Nick Sharratt
- SEE YOU IN 10 YEARS WRITING COMPETITION for Teenagers
- Payback Claire MacLeary
- G20 Festival Safe Play for Children Under 11
- Anna (Young Adults Book) by Laura Guthrie
- Do You Remember Marseilles Charity Single
- Glasgow Youth Film Festival – Top Documentary Picks for Young People
- G20 Festival – U Fix It Cafe and Clothes Swop
- Take 2: Spies in Disguise, GFT
- Campire Club Rousing Rebels, Paisley
- Learn Gaelic – Family Fun Session at NLS Kelvinhall