Remembering Glasgow’s Forgotten Women
Wednesday 12 December, 2018 – 6.30 p.m. – 8.00 p.m.
Maryhill Burgh Halls, 24 Gairbraid Ave, Glasgow G20 8YE
Hosted by Women’s Support Project
You are invited to an informal evening looking at the history behind the “Glasgow System” – a time in our city’s history which saw the collusion of the church, local authorities, police and medical profession to enforce the social repression of women.
The “Glasgow System” was set up in response to the city’s growing concern about prostitution, sexually transmitted disease and the moral health of society. The system resulted in thousands of women being incarcerated in the Glasgow Magdalene Asylum, Lochburn House, the Lock Hospital and Duke Street prison. Those imprisoned came were generally termed “prostitutes”, an umbrella term at the time which encompassed single mothers, socialists, mill girls, actresses as well as those who sold sex for money. Lochburn House only closed its doors in 1958.
Thousands of women were placed in these institutions, many never being released.
These women were not afforded the luxury of a fair and just society. They committed no crime. They were never convicted of any wrongdoing, so in essence they had no right to appeal.
‘We would like a Commemorative space with a plaque to remember the women who were incarcerated in institutions as part of the Glasgow system, especially those women who were said to be involved in prostitution.’
‘We would love you to join us to hear your thoughts on how these women and their mistreatment can be acknowledged.’
- Glasgow Film Festival 2022 – First Screenings Announced
- Read In to Celebrate St Andrew’s Day White Inch Library
- C7 Christmas Spectacular: A Jangle Journey
- Bay Inn Bowling – Annual Christmas Quiz
- Book launch: Like A Tree Walking by Vahni Capildeo
- Christmas Evil (1980) – screening Old Hairdresser’s
- White Christmas at GFT
- Drive My Car, GFT
- Petite Maman, GFT
- Eye of the Storm, GFT plus Q and with Anthony Baxter
- Rebel Dykes, GFT
- Preview: Belle plus Q and A with Mamoru Hosoda
- The House of Gucci GFT
- Comfort and Joy, Screening at Arlington Baths
- The Wizard of Oz Panto –Jazz Hands
- Glasgow Print Studio – Members’ Christmas Show 2021
- Oh Aye It Is!
- A Very Buble Christmas at Cottiers
- Glasgow Madrigirls – A Star is Bright as Day
- A Christmas Carol- A Hauntingly Hilarious Family Panto!