Remembering Glasgow’s Forgotten Women
Wednesday 12 December, 2018 – 6.30 p.m. – 8.00 p.m.
Maryhill Burgh Halls, 24 Gairbraid Ave, Glasgow G20 8YE
Hosted by Women’s Support Project
You are invited to an informal evening looking at the history behind the “Glasgow System” – a time in our city’s history which saw the collusion of the church, local authorities, police and medical profession to enforce the social repression of women.
The “Glasgow System” was set up in response to the city’s growing concern about prostitution, sexually transmitted disease and the moral health of society. The system resulted in thousands of women being incarcerated in the Glasgow Magdalene Asylum, Lochburn House, the Lock Hospital and Duke Street prison. Those imprisoned came were generally termed “prostitutes”, an umbrella term at the time which encompassed single mothers, socialists, mill girls, actresses as well as those who sold sex for money. Lochburn House only closed its doors in 1958.
Thousands of women were placed in these institutions, many never being released.
These women were not afforded the luxury of a fair and just society. They committed no crime. They were never convicted of any wrongdoing, so in essence they had no right to appeal.
‘We would like a Commemorative space with a plaque to remember the women who were incarcerated in institutions as part of the Glasgow system, especially those women who were said to be involved in prostitution.’
‘We would love you to join us to hear your thoughts on how these women and their mistreatment can be acknowledged.’
- The Pure Amazing Wiz of Oz Panto at Websters 2019
- Have Yourself a Literary Solstice, Poetry is the Way to Peace
- Cinderella, Theatre School of Scotland
- Sounds in the Suburbs presents Leventime: A Celebration of Jackie Leven
- Carols in the Garden, Wilton Street, Glasgow West End
- Paisley Book Festival 2020
- Switch Off – Centre for Confidence and Wellbeing
- Take 2: Miniscule Adventure GFT
- The Great Hack Screening and Discussion CCA
- Knives Out GFT
- The Biggest Little Farm GFT
- The Forgotten Screening and Q & A
- In Diamond Square GFT
- Shooting the Mafia, GFT
- Moving Image Makers Collective On The Move CCA
- First events announced for Glasgow Film Festival 2020
- Pity Party Film Club Urgh! A Music War CCA
- Sunshine on Leith GFT
- CinemaAttic – Catalan Film Festival CCA
- The Two Popes GFT