Remembering Glasgow’s Forgotten Women
Wednesday 12 December, 2018 – 6.30 p.m. – 8.00 p.m.
Maryhill Burgh Halls, 24 Gairbraid Ave, Glasgow G20 8YE
Hosted by Women’s Support Project
You are invited to an informal evening looking at the history behind the “Glasgow System” – a time in our city’s history which saw the collusion of the church, local authorities, police and medical profession to enforce the social repression of women.
The “Glasgow System” was set up in response to the city’s growing concern about prostitution, sexually transmitted disease and the moral health of society. The system resulted in thousands of women being incarcerated in the Glasgow Magdalene Asylum, Lochburn House, the Lock Hospital and Duke Street prison. Those imprisoned came were generally termed “prostitutes”, an umbrella term at the time which encompassed single mothers, socialists, mill girls, actresses as well as those who sold sex for money. Lochburn House only closed its doors in 1958.
Thousands of women were placed in these institutions, many never being released.
These women were not afforded the luxury of a fair and just society. They committed no crime. They were never convicted of any wrongdoing, so in essence they had no right to appeal.
‘We would like a Commemorative space with a plaque to remember the women who were incarcerated in institutions as part of the Glasgow system, especially those women who were said to be involved in prostitution.’
‘We would love you to join us to hear your thoughts on how these women and their mistreatment can be acknowledged.’
- Online Quiz Night with Duglus T Stewart
- Scenes for Survival Courier Culture
- G20 Festival Safe Play for Children Under 11
- Murder at the Mela by Leela Soma
- Bloody Scotland 2020 – Debut Shortlist and McIlvanney Prize Longlist
- Summer Art Sessions Woodlands Community
- Outdoor Activities Woodlands Community
- Sonnet Youth Social Club
- Climate Change The Facts David Attenborough Savvy Film
- Food Truck and Craft Beer Festival Rouken Glen
- Drive In Movies Paisley
- Anna (Young Adults Book) by Laura Guthrie
- Edinburgh Film Festival At Home
- A Northern Extravaganza with Shetlandic Poets Christie Williamson and Roseann Watt
- Jasmine Boutique – Stay at Home Service
- World Refugee Day Saturday 20 June, 2020
- Sunset Sessions with Alan Frew
- Joan of Arc Glasgow Film Theatre – Virtual Cinema
- French Film Festival UK November – December 2020
- Nurture through Nature – one to one support Woodlands Community