Poverty in Britain today – Kerry Hudson’s Lowborn Tour
Thursday, 16 May, 2019 – 4.30 p.m. – 5.30 p.m.
The Mitchell Library
Kerry Hudson in conversation with Darren McGarvey, on poverty and class in the UK – Kerry Hudson’s Lowborn
We are delighted to be part of award winning author Kerry Hudson’s book tour.
Her latests book – LOWBORN – is a powerful, personal, agenda changing look at poverty in Britain. Kerry explores where she came from, revisiting the towns she grew up in to try to discover what being poor really means in Britain today. With LOWBORN Kerry is looking break through the barriers, through the naivety and denial that have kept the conversation of poverty dialled down, with an aim to raise awareness through the roof and make a change.
Kerry Hudson grew up in all-encompassing, grinding poverty. Always on the move with her single mother, Kerry attended 9 primary schools and 5 secondary schools, living in B&Bs and council flats. Kerry scores 8 out of 10 on the Adverse Childhood Experiences measure of childhood trauma. Whilst many people would like to think that Kerry was an exception – that she was unlucky, or a one-in-a-million case. Sadly, this just isn’t true. All of the people Kerry grew up with were experiencing exactly the same as she was. Some a little less, and some far worse. The difference is that Kerry saw an opportunity for a different existence and ran for it.
20 years later, Kerry’s life is unrecognisable. She’s a prizewinning novelist who has travelled the world. She has a secure home, a loving partner and access to art, music, film and books. But she often finds herself somehow caught between two worlds. LOWBORN is Kerry’s exploration of where she came from, revisiting the towns she grew up in to try to discover what being poor really means in Britain today and whether anything has changed. With LOWBORN Kerry is looking break through the barriers, through the naivety and denial that have kept the conversation of poverty dialled down, with an aim to raise awareness through the roof and make a change.
Copies of LOWBORN will be available for purchase and Kerry will also be signing.
FREE EVENT – Register Online
The Mitchell Library, North Street, Glasgow G3 7DN
This section: Books, Talks, Poetry Events
Filed under: Books, Talks, Poetry Events
- Poetry Launches CCA – Stephen Watt, Derek Parkes and Mandy Haggith
- Tannahill Arts Festival Paisley
- The Glasgow Guild Talks 2019
- Meet the Author, Angela Robb, Fruin Farm
- Joint Book Launch: Tracy Patrick and Fiona Lindsay
- Vincent Price: Master of Menace, Lover of Life + The Abominable Dr Phibes GFT
- Book Launch: The Siren Awakes by Linda Jackson
- Margaret Atwood – Live in Cinemas
- Script to Stage Renfrewshire
- Memorial Evening for Janet Paisley CCA
- Bloody Scotland 2019
- Alexandria Writers Open Mic
- Theresa Talbot Creative Writing Workshop
- Blessed Assurance by Stewart Ennis Book Launch
- Creative Conversations Inaugural Event Autumn 2019
- The Big Meeting GFT
- The Muse at Avant Garde September 9th, 2019
- Place and Peace: three Scottish PEN writers at Scottish Writers Centre
- Postbox Launch of Issue 2
- Scottish Writers Showcase University of Glasgow 2019