Part of Generation – 25 years of Contemporary Art in Scotland The Tramway Fri 26 September until Sun 26 October
Part of Generation – 25 years of Contemporary Art in Scotland
Fri 26 September until Sun 26 October
DATE CHANGE: Due to unforseen circumstances, Alan Michael’s exhibition dates are now Fri 26 September until Sun 26 October.
Preview Thu 25 September 7 -9pm. All welcome.
Routine demonstrations of research and generic reference points provide material for Alan Michael’s (b.1967) paintings and photo-based works. Often using the formats of Photorealism and Pop Art, Michael casually represents a type of practice where distortion is the equivalent of development, presentation is content and the ritual of work itself is materialised.
Sources from art, design and fashion appear alongside plants, cars, food, text, logos and other commonplace objects. Michael approaches these subjects with the same indifferent objectivity – isolating, splitting and repeating his subjects within the frame of the canvas so that they appear coolly detached and anonymous. Devoid of any context, source or reference to their mode of circulation, Michael highlights the layered signifiers embedded in these images. Images are rendered with a lustrous mirror-like sheen, lending them a flatness or screen like quality which evokes the loss of any material reality or physical context. Thus, Michael’s work reflects wider shifts within post-internet culture and the unseen hierarchies at work in the circulation and dispersion of today’s vast economy of images.
For Syn, Alan Michael presents a new series of works which, in the words of the artist, are “based on dreams and refer to nothing outside of themselves – there isn’t a code”.
Opening hours: 12noon – 5pm (Tue – Fri) & 12 noon – 6pm (Sat & Sun) Closed Mon.
25 Albert Drive
Glasgow, G41 2PE
This section: Art, Photography, Exhibitions what's on-glasgow
Filed under: Art, Photography, Exhibitions what's on-glasgow
- Ghost Signs Glasgow Exhibition Tour
- Anna H. Geerdes – Borderline Exhibition
- Winnie Herbstein – Dampbusters at CCA
- Brian Whittingham – Writing Walks in Kelvingrove
- Lifting The Lid on Whistler at the Hunterian
- Willie Sutherland – Evolution of Wa at CCA
- Glasgow School of Art Digital Showcase 2021
- A Spotlight on Jack Knox – Compass Gallery
- The Hunterian: Jimmy Robert: Tobacco Flower
- 100 Years of the Barras Photography Exhibition
- Contemporary Quilt Group, The Auld Kirk
- ProjectAbility – Online Exhibition ‘Altered Space’
- SWG3 Opens New Gallery – Yard Life
- Joan Eardley Centenary – Writers Celebrate her work
- The Joan Eardley Centenary Celebration
- At Home Artist’s Talk: GOMA
- The Dance of the Lunar Creatrix – Marianne Wilson
- Greenpeace – Kelvin Way’s Low-Traffic Neighbourhood
- Winter Art Club for Kids – Paper Bag Portraits
- Glasgow Greenpeace – Kelvin Way Valentine’s Day