Part of Generation – 25 years of Contemporary Art in Scotland The Tramway Fri 26 September until Sun 26 October
Part of Generation – 25 years of Contemporary Art in Scotland
Fri 26 September until Sun 26 October
DATE CHANGE: Due to unforseen circumstances, Alan Michael’s exhibition dates are now Fri 26 September until Sun 26 October.
Preview Thu 25 September 7 -9pm. All welcome.
Routine demonstrations of research and generic reference points provide material for Alan Michael’s (b.1967) paintings and photo-based works. Often using the formats of Photorealism and Pop Art, Michael casually represents a type of practice where distortion is the equivalent of development, presentation is content and the ritual of work itself is materialised.
Sources from art, design and fashion appear alongside plants, cars, food, text, logos and other commonplace objects. Michael approaches these subjects with the same indifferent objectivity – isolating, splitting and repeating his subjects within the frame of the canvas so that they appear coolly detached and anonymous. Devoid of any context, source or reference to their mode of circulation, Michael highlights the layered signifiers embedded in these images. Images are rendered with a lustrous mirror-like sheen, lending them a flatness or screen like quality which evokes the loss of any material reality or physical context. Thus, Michael’s work reflects wider shifts within post-internet culture and the unseen hierarchies at work in the circulation and dispersion of today’s vast economy of images.
For Syn, Alan Michael presents a new series of works which, in the words of the artist, are “based on dreams and refer to nothing outside of themselves – there isn’t a code”.
Opening hours: 12noon – 5pm (Tue – Fri) & 12 noon – 6pm (Sat & Sun) Closed Mon.
25 Albert Drive
Glasgow, G41 2PE
This section: Art, Photography, Exhibitions what's on-glasgow
Filed under: Art, Photography, Exhibitions what's on-glasgow
- The Glasgow Guild Talks 2019
- Spanish Civil War Collections The Mitchell Library
- Sarah Kudirka Open Studio The Hidden Lane
- ‘Creatures as Natural Hunters’ Damian Henry Glasgow Print Studio
- Glasgow Museums – Great Big Heritage Bus Tour
- Spirit of Revolt, Show and Tell – Workers City, The Mitchell
- Glasgow Then and Now at The Mitchell Library
- Ilana Halperin: Minerals of New York, The Hunterian
- Linda McCartney Retrospective at Kelvingrove Art Gallery
- Glasgow School of Art Graduate Degree Show 2019
- Trees v Capitalism by Maggie Kelly at Woodland Community Workspace
- Govanhill: Portrait of a Community review Pat Byrne
- Young Talent, ProjectAbility
- Living in the Magic Garden, Cafe Gandolfi, Merchant City Glasgow
- Freed Spirit : The Paintings of Maria Spadoni (1928 – 2014) RGI
- Series of Creative Writing Masterclasses
- Mind and Draw Live Music and Poetry Art Sessions at WEvolution
- Have A Go – Calligraphy at The Mitchell Library
- Some things want to run V/DA | Sonic Séance: The Gathering CCA
- Anderson Gerard Exhibition at Offshore Cafe Glasgow