Nichol Wheatley’s art depicting the tale of Tam O’Shanter at OranMor
Yesterday, 14 January, 2019, Nichol Wheatley‘s ten wonderful bespoke canvases depicting the tale of Burns’ Tam O’Shanter were on display at Òran Mór in Glasgow’s West End. The paintings will hang in the Victorian and Whisky Bar and will migrate back to the Auditorium each year when Burns events are celebrated.
Nichol worked closely with Alasdair Gray when the ceiling mural in the Auditorium was created and the wonderful room looked even more beautiful with the addition of his ten vibrant paintings.
The artist spent nearly two years creating these magnificent paintings to coincide with Rabbie Burns’ 260th Birthday.
A large crowd attended the unveiling of the new art and everyone was suitably impressed with much discussion regarding which was their favourite painting. Many well kent West Endenders and Òran Mór regulars came along including Craig Munro, Freddie and Michael Dale (Director of West End Festival), the playwright Peter McDougall, Michaela Foster Marsh and Rony Bridges (Starchild), Madeleine and writer Bernard Maclaverty, actor Libby McArthur, others too many to mention and, of course, Mr Colin Beattie himself.
We shared a table with Gordon and Lawrie, who recently moved to Glasgow from Edinburgh, and are loving life in the West End.
Moira Kerr, Scottish singer/songwriter provided the entertainment with some Burns’ airs.
“But pleasures are like poppies spread, you seize the flower, it’s bloom is shed; or, like the snow-fall in the river, a moment white, then melts forever.” Rabbie Burns
- Summer Art Sessions Woodlands Community
- Ghazal: the phone – poem by Rizwan Akhtar
- In Times of Self-Isolation poem by Rizwan Akhtar
- Corona Virus Stew – poem by Leela Soma
- Ian R. Mitchell – Some Images From Glasgow’s Past
- Film Friday Art in the Archive National Library of Scotland
- Oscar, Bravo! – live streaming Street Level Photoworks on Facebook
- Glasgow Window Art Festival – High Street and Saltmarket
- Glasgow Film Festival 2020: Close Up – Susan Wood Exhibition
- Looking at Mackintosh’s Masterpiece
- The IASSIDD Exhibition ProjectAbility
- Old KIlpatrick Art Club Exhibition, Bishopton
- Alasdair Gray – Omnium Gatherum
- DeepEnd Mural Govanhill Community Baths
- As I See Cuba (Como Veo Cuba) Photography Exibition
- John Inglis Exhibition New Collages 2016 – 2019 Compass Gallery
- Project Ability Christmas Show 2019
- Oscar Marzaroli Exhibition Streetworks
- Art on the Exchange Glasgow
- Difference by Design Arts and Crafts Fair, Websters