In Common Mural Project, Festival 2014, Glasgow Commonwealth Games
International Mural Project in Glasgow – created by Recoat
To celebrate the Commonwealth Games coming to Glasgow, Recoat were commissioned to curate a mural project across the city as part of Festival 2014. These pieces are to be permanent artworks.
Recoat invited five Commonwealth artists to travel to Glasgow to paint large scale, striking artworks on buildings that explored the theme of ‘Identity’. The murals were sited in the City Centre and North, East, South, and West of the city.
They selected world-renowned mural artists who have all painted pieces extensively across the globe:
Askew traveled from New Zealand to paint the Townhead Campus of the City of Glasgow College building in the city centre.
The Scottish representative was Elph, who worked with the Eastpark School in Maryhill to create his piece.
Best|Ever, a duo from England, who recently returned from a Gambian project, painted an imposing, protective female icon in the Barras.
Ibrox was decorated with a subtle piece of a woman holding a tangled thread by South African artist, Faith 47.
The fifth mural was created by Australian artist, Fintan Magee, who painted a mural in Partick that marks the entrance to a newly built community garden.
These artworks celebrate what we have in common and what sets us apart as humans and members of the Commonwealth with shared and different ancestry, beliefs and traditions. The murals will act as a positive and permanent reminder of the Games in Glasgow.
- Celebrating Diversity Festival
- Summer Art Sessions Woodlands Community
- Ian R. Mitchell – Some Images From Glasgow’s Past
- Film Friday Art in the Archive National Library of Scotland
- Oscar, Bravo! – live streaming Street Level Photoworks on Facebook
- Glasgow Window Art Festival – High Street and Saltmarket
- Glasgow Film Festival 2020: Close Up – Susan Wood Exhibition
- Looking at Mackintosh’s Masterpiece
- The IASSIDD Exhibition ProjectAbility
- Old KIlpatrick Art Club Exhibition, Bishopton
- Alasdair Gray – Omnium Gatherum
- DeepEnd Mural Govanhill Community Baths
- As I See Cuba (Como Veo Cuba) Photography Exibition
- John Inglis Exhibition New Collages 2016 – 2019 Compass Gallery
- Project Ability Christmas Show 2019
- Oscar Marzaroli Exhibition Streetworks
- Art on the Exchange Glasgow
- Difference by Design Arts and Crafts Fair, Websters
- Winter Fine Art and Antiques Auction, Great Western Auction
- Art Exhibition at The Arlington Baths Club