Ilana Halperin: Minerals of New York, The Hunterian
13 July 2019 – 13 October 2019
This Exhibition at The Hunterian combines geology, biography and New York City,
Ilana Halperin is an artist who lives and works between Glasgow and the Isle of Bute. Her practice often explores the relationship between geology and everyday life. For example, Halperin shares her birthday with the Eldfell volcano in Iceland, and she returns once a decade to spend time with the volcano on significant occasions.
Her latest project takes her back to New York, her childhood home, through a ‘mineral biography of the city’ which takes shape across a range of media, including drawings, photographs, objects, and a 35mm slide show.
Alongside her new project Minerals of New York, The Hunterian will exhibit a number of Halperin’s works from its own collection which relate to her ongoing interest in the Eldfell volcano.
Minerals of New York is at the Hunterian Art Gallery from 13 July – 13 October 2019. Open Tuesday – Saturday 10.00am – 5.00pm and Sunday 11.00am – 4.00pm. Admission is free.
1. Pick & Hammer Club at marble outcrop on 207th Street off Broadway, 1942.
2. Ilana Halperin, The Subway Garnet, Graphite on Fabriano Paper, 2012.
All images courtesy of the artist and Patricia Fleming, Glasgow.
The Hunterian, University of Glasgow, off University Avenue, Glasgow G12 8QQ
- Tony Singh: Glasgow Mela Food Cooking Demo
- Creative Conversations: Homi K Bhabha
- World of International Film Festival 2020
- Creative Thursdays – Jewish Textile Art
- Project-Ability, Virtual Exhibition
- Rocks at Glasgow Film Theatre
- Havana Glasgow Film Festival 2020
- Virtual Glasgow Mela 2020
- GYFF Miss Junetenth GFT
- GYFF: Back to the Future
- Nocturnal GFT
- Sounds in the Suburbs 5th Refuweegee Fundraiser
- Glasgow Museum’s Resource Centre: Glasgow’ Smallest Doors
- Raman Mondair – Choreographies of Dance
- Freddy Anderson – collected poems and prose book release
- The Glasgow Diet – Discussion Event
- Tidelines Book Festival 2020
- You’re Only Young Twice – Digital Doors Open Day 2020
- To Meat or Not to Meat – Climate Action
- Stories from the Briggait – Glasgow Doors Open Day