Hugh McIlvanney In Conversation with Graham Spiers, OranMor, Thursday 29 September, 2016
OranMor, 731 – 735 Great Western Road, G12 8QX
£12 – £14
Thursday 29 September, 2016 7.30 p.m.
08444 771 000
Once described as “the greatest sportswriter in the English-speaking world”, Hugh McIlvanney is garlanded with awards and held in as high regard by those he has written about as by his readers. He remains perceptive and passionate after six decades of travelling the globe to chronicle landmark sporting events, including 11 World Cups and 10 Olympic Games, in a career that has spanned generations of celebrated sporting figures – a veritable A–Z encompassing everyone from Ali to Zidane.
In what is sure to be lively conversation with Graham Spiers, McIlvanney shares, with his characteristic sharp insight, wry wit and pithy observations, the experiences of his remarkable career, prominent among them his friendships with the immortal managers Busby, Shankly, Stein and Ferguson, the troubled genius of players such as George Best and Jimmy Johnstone and the many magical days spent in the company of the incomparable Muhammad Ali. He talks, too, of the times great sporting occasions were darkened by horror and tragedy, when his background as a news reporter helped him to cope, and of the changes he has seen in the business of sports journalism.
Andy Murray :“I was interviewed by Hugh in November 2009 and, as a boxing fan, it was a pleasure to meet a man who has written with such passion and eloquence about the sport we both love”.
Graeme Souness: “All the legendary managers were his pals. They trusted and respected him, even when he was being critical of them.”
- Winter Wonderland Christmas Street Party Ashton Lane
- Christmas Tree Light Switch On & Street Market 2019 Glasgow West End
- Mary Irvine: Book Week Scotland 2029 – Events in West Dunbartonshire
- It’s A Wonderful Life Seamore Neighbourhood Cinema Glasgow
- Irish fiddle player Michael Gorman Cd launch and Concert to celebrate his Glasgow connection
- First events announced for Glasgow Film Festival 2020
- Martin Stephenson & The Daintees OranMor
- Alternative Pantos in Glasgow 2019
- Oscar Marzaroli Public Reception Streetworks
- Difference by Design Arts and Crafts Fair, Websters
- Santaland and Season’s Greetings Websters
- Julesbasar – Norwegian Christmas Fair Glasgow 2019
- Panto-Crime, Murder Mystery at Websters with Dinner & The Logans
- Nina Allan Speculative Fiction Writer – Creative Conversations
- After the Wedding, GFT
- Luce, GFT
- Havana Film Festival 2019
- Matchbox Cineclub Best of Final Girls Berlin 2019 CCA
- Then And Now & What Could Be: Housing Rights & Solidarity CCA
- Libre / To the Four Winds Alliance Francaise Glasgow