Hugh McIlvanney In Conversation with Graham Spiers, OranMor, Thursday 29 September, 2016
OranMor, 731 – 735 Great Western Road, G12 8QX
£12 – £14
Thursday 29 September, 2016 7.30 p.m.
08444 771 000
Once described as “the greatest sportswriter in the English-speaking world”, Hugh McIlvanney is garlanded with awards and held in as high regard by those he has written about as by his readers. He remains perceptive and passionate after six decades of travelling the globe to chronicle landmark sporting events, including 11 World Cups and 10 Olympic Games, in a career that has spanned generations of celebrated sporting figures – a veritable A–Z encompassing everyone from Ali to Zidane.
In what is sure to be lively conversation with Graham Spiers, McIlvanney shares, with his characteristic sharp insight, wry wit and pithy observations, the experiences of his remarkable career, prominent among them his friendships with the immortal managers Busby, Shankly, Stein and Ferguson, the troubled genius of players such as George Best and Jimmy Johnstone and the many magical days spent in the company of the incomparable Muhammad Ali. He talks, too, of the times great sporting occasions were darkened by horror and tragedy, when his background as a news reporter helped him to cope, and of the changes he has seen in the business of sports journalism.
Andy Murray :“I was interviewed by Hugh in November 2009 and, as a boxing fan, it was a pleasure to meet a man who has written with such passion and eloquence about the sport we both love”.
Graeme Souness: “All the legendary managers were his pals. They trusted and respected him, even when he was being critical of them.”
- Smokehead Sessions: Dave Arcari – full concert livestream
- Vegan Cookery Workshop
- Art in Nature: Make a Mandala
- Researching Scotland’s Mountain Women: National Library of Scotland
- Online Quiz Night with Duglus T Stewart
- Blues ‘n’ Twos with Dave Arcari
- Sonnet Youth Social Club #2
- Sleep Workshops Woodlands Community
- Book Launch: New Shoots Old Roots (2)
- Duglus T Stewart – Dreaded Light Composer
- SEE YOU IN 10 YEARS WRITING COMPETITION for Teenagers
- Record Store Day – Love Music Glasgow
- “Monsters, Process and Mayhem” T.L. Huchu in conversation with Chikodili Emelumadu
- Alice – Watch Online GFT
- The Traitor Glasgow Film Theatre Online
- Govan’s Glories: Central Govan Walk Ian R. Mitchell
- Payback Claire MacLeary
- Her Century – National Library of Scotland
- Sounds in the Suburbs – Refuweegee Show
- Lindisfarne at Cottiers