Harry Papadopoulos Photography Exhibition Until 29 August, 2014
Until 29 August, 2014
This outing for ever-popular work of Papadopoulos focuses on some of the Scottish acts of the post-punk era when Glasgow was something of an epicenter of independent music.
Images include Edwyn Collins and Orange Juice, The Dreamboys (featuring frontman Peter Capaldi and Craig Ferguson on drums), The Laughing Apple (featuring Alan McGee of Creation Records), Claire Grogan of Altered Images, Aztec Camera, and Edinburgh luminaries Davy Henderson, pictured (Fire Engines, Win, Nectarine No.9 and now of The Sexual Objects), Josef K and The Scars. Also on show are images of British and US punk acts – both pre and post punk – such as Gil Scott-Heron, The Clash, The Specials, and Julian Cope.
Harry was born in 1954 in Helensburgh and attended Penilee Secondary School, then on to Paisley College of Technology where he gained a BSc. in Electrical Engineering. In 1976 he attended Jordanhill College, and became a teacher of Maths and Physics. He is a self-taught photographer whose interest was inspired by taking photographs at gigs in the late 1970’s. Following a long and productive stint at Sounds music weekly as a photographer, Harry became editor of Marvel Comics publications such as Care Bears, Flintstones, and Star Trek. In August 2002 Harry suffered a brain aneurysm and returned to Glasgow in February 2006.
The exhibition is co-curated by Ken McCluskey.
The book ‘What Presence!’ published last year by Polygon is available in the library.
Hillhead Library, 348 Byres Road, Glasgow, G12 8AP
- George Wylie Centenary Exhibition
- Glasgow Print Studio – Members’ Christmas Show 2021
- Art for Africa in Memory of Rony Bridges
- The Landing Hub – COP26 Fringe Event
- Christmas Commissions, Exhibition and Gifts Kelvin Art Studio & Gallery
- Palindrome: Cohen – Art Painting & Photography Exhibition
- Caroline Miller Art – Open Day
- Artivismo Pintando Murales Derribamos Muros – Digital Exhibition Launch
- The Pollution Pods – COP26 at Gartnavel
- RCC at COP26: Environmental Humanities Exhibition
- Cats Protection Jade Carrera Art Event
- Urban Potentials Exhibition Launch
- Art for Africa in memory of Rony Bridges
- Ghost Signs Glasgow Exhibition Tour
- Anna H. Geerdes – Borderline Exhibition
- Winnie Herbstein – Dampbusters at CCA
- Brian Whittingham – Writing Walks in Kelvingrove
- Lifting The Lid on Whistler at the Hunterian
- Willie Sutherland – Evolution of Wa at CCA
- Glasgow School of Art Digital Showcase 2021