Govan Fun Fair Friday 6th and Sat 7 June at Elder Park, Sunny Govan, 2014
Govan Fun Fair
The Govan Fair is the oldest such event in Glasgow, dating back to 1756 when it was established by the Govan Weavers Society. Since then, the first Friday in June has always been Govan Fair Day, and an annual parade has taken place. The 258th fair takes place on the 6th June 2014. Friday 6 June: The Govan Fair Returns!
Family Funfair in Elder Park from 2pm onwards with a fairground, activities on the bandstand and stalls. Procession leaves from Fairley St at 7.45p.m. (arriving at Elder Park circa 8.45pm) Queen will appear on the Bandstand in Elder Park at 9pm.
Saturday 7 June: Family Fun Day
Family Fun Day in Elder Park from 11am onwards: Fairground rides Music and Performance at the Bandstand Model boats on Elder Park pond Stalls, Games, Refreshments, Family Funfair rides and much, much more!
Tickets Available: http://www.thetinforest.com
A free, family-friendly evening of live music, theatre, acrobatics, speeches, dance and soundscapes created by people across Govan as part of the National Theatre of Scotland’s Culture 2014 project The Tin Forest in collaboration with the Friends of Elder Park.
The Tin Forest Govan: Sat 7 June
The weekend is almost here and that means it’s time for The Tin Forest Govan!
Once the beating musical heart of Govan, the Elder Park Bandstand will be temporarily reinstated on Govan Fair Weekend for the crowning of the Govan Fair Queen and a family-friendly evening of live music, theatre, acrobatics and speechifying.
Join us on Friday 6th June as we ‘Raise the Bandstand.’ The community of Govan have been taking part in workshops with local community heritage organisation GalGael, to design and make a series of commemorative panels depicting key scenes in Govan’s history for the bandstand. The panels will be paraded through the streets as part of the Govan Fair procession before being ceremonially affixed to the bandstand.
The procession commences at 7.45pm from Fairley Street. We expect to arrive in Elder Park around 9.00pm, when The Govan Fair Queen will be crowned.
On Saturday 7th June, from 6pm, local singers and choirs will take to the bandstand to perform in the round, as will an eclectic bill of local bands. A series of theatrical surprises and soundscapes are planned, including performances by Bright Night International circus group and actor/singer Frances Thorburn. There will also be performances by the people of Govan who have been taking part in weekly acting classes at the Pearce Institute since January. In addition, a selection of competition-winning soapbox speeches, inspired by Govan’s history of standing up and speaking out will be performed. The evening’s events will be MC’d by Maria Leahy of Friends of Elder Park.
Tickets: This is a free, unticketed event – come and join us.
This performance takes place outdoors – please dress accordingly!
This section: Events, Fairs, Festivals and Fundraisers
Filed under: Events, Fairs, Festivals and Fundraisers
- Befriending Food Experience Celebrate St Andrew’s Day
- Artists Moving Image Festival The Tramway
- UK Jewish Film Festival 2019 at GFT Glasgow
- Havana Film Festival 2019
- Winter Wonderland Christmas Street Party Ashton Lane
- Christmas Tree Light Switch On & Street Market 2019 Glasgow West End
- Mary Irvine: Book Week Scotland 2029 – Events in West Dunbartonshire
- First events announced for Glasgow Film Festival 2020
- Difference by Design Arts and Crafts Fair, Websters
- Julesbasar – Norwegian Christmas Fair Glasgow 2019
- Panto-Crime, Murder Mystery at Websters with Dinner & The Logans
- French Film Festival GFT 2019
- Book Week Scotland 2019
- Cottiers has Talent this Christmas
- Cottiers – Bar, Restaurant, Theatre, Glasgow West End
- UK Jewish Film Festival 2019 CCA
- Africa in Motion Film Festival 2019 Glasgow
- Green Film Festival 2019 GFT
- The Rocky Horror Picture Show, Halloween at OranMor
- Samhain: fire and jam session Halloween, North Kelvin Meadow