Glasgow Science Festival, University of Glasgow 29 and 30 September, 2017
Imagineer: engineering-inspired theatre
‘Back in June, we brought together engineers and theatre students for a day of inspiration. Several months and lot of hard work later, this is the result!
On Friday 29 September at Gilmorehill G12, theatre-makers ‘The Doing Group’ will debut their engineering-inspired performances at Imagineer.
Book your free ticket online. Funded by the Royal Academy of Engineering.
Family fun at Explorathon
This Friday 29 September, Explorathon is taking over The Forge Shopping Centre (11:00-16:00), Kelvingrove Art Gallery & Museum (11:00-16:00) and The Hunterian (12:00-16:00) with interactive activities to entertain the whole family.
No booking is required for these daytime events. For more information, visit the Explorathon website.
Explore, Question, Discover: events from 5pm
The early evening Explorathon programme is packed with ways to satisfy your curiosity!
Uncover the Dark Side of Social Media over coffee and cake in Tinderbox.
Enjoy the UK Premiere of “Govan Young” Film
An award-winning documentary to be screened in the fantastic setting of Govan Old Church, 866 Govan Rd, Glasgow G51 3UU
In the magnificent surroundings of Govan Old Church we will uncover the history of the Kingdom of Strathclyde with the UK premiere of award winning documentary Govan Young.
Join the pupils of Pirie Park Primary School as they encounter kings and Vikings whilst they discover the lost kingdom of Strathclyde in the award-winning documentary film “Govan Young”, directed by David Archibald, Martin Clark and Cara Connolly.
Do you believe in science?
29 September, 2017 6 – 8 p.m.
Kelvin Hall, 1445 Argyle Street Glasgow G3 8AW Scotland
Join researchers for an evening of myth-busting and trust-building in the Kelvin Hall.
All events are free and bookable online.
Recent political statements have tried to create a distrust in science and our psychologists are taking a stand! Join our crack team for an evening of swift and interactive exchanges on debunking the headlines, on trusting our methods and on creating a science for everyone.
Recommended Age 16 plus.
Evening Adventures: 6pm onwards
Explore research after dark with Explorathon!
The Explorathon Extravaganza
Takes over the Riverside Museum with an evening of curiosity from 6-10pm.
6 – 10 p.m. 29 September, 2017
The Simpsons and their Mathematical Secrets
Best-selling science writer Simon Singh will be revealing the mathematical jokes hidden in the Simpsons universe.
29 September, 2017 6.30 – 8.30 p.m.
Sir Charles Wilson Bldg, University of Glasgo, 1 University Avenue, G12 8NN
All events are free and bookable online.
Curiosity on Film
Explore research through cutting-edge cinema!
How have Victorian novels led to Broadway musicals? Discover neo-Victorian musical adaptations with live performances from Mad Props Theatre.
7 – 8.30 p.m.
“Get Out” Cult Horror, Gilmorehill Centre
Enjoy a night at the movies with a difference at the Gilmorehill Centre. A screening of new cult horror “Get Out” (Jordan Peel, 2017) will be followed by a panel discussion on the film and representations of race, gender, disability and sexuality in film.
29 September, 2017 7 – 9.30 p.m.
Gilmorehill Centre, Glasgow University. 9 University Avenue, Glasgow Metropolitan Area G12 8QQ
- The Scribbler’s Union – Vol.1 Book Launch (2 Nights!)
- New Patterns for Paisley, Paisley Book Festival
- What It Means To Overcome – Paisley Film Festival
- Paisley Book Festival – A Kist of Thistles
- Film Festival Institut Francais
- How Does It Feel To Be Loved – Virtual Dance Party
- Interactive Map – Global Burns Suppers
- The Burns Supper Addressed Burns Centre University of Glasgow
- Hannah Lavery Creative Conversations
- The Acoustic Night Special Nice ‘n’ Sleazy
- The World I Fell Out Of – Melanie Reid
- Vivian French and The Giant’s Tea Party
- COP26 Global Event In Glasgow – Seeks Volunteers
- Fright Fest Glasgow Film Festival Online 2021
- Believe in Scotland Virtual Burns Supper
- A Virtual Burns Night Edinburgh Castle
- Burns Celebration Online Tannahill Centre
- Janey Godley’s Big Burns Supper Online
- Paisley Book Festival 2021 – Online
- Bemis – Celtic Connections in the Community