Glasgow Doors Open Days Glasgow School of Art, Restoring Mackintosh Building, 11 September 2017
Conservation Philosophy: A case study – The Mackintosh Building Restoration Project
The Glasgow School of Art
11 September, 2017
167 Renfrew Street
Glasgow G3 6RQ
A lecture and panel talk discussing the conservation philosophy guiding the work undertaken to conserve, restore and rebuild the Mackintosh Building, returning it to use as a working art school.
The Mackintosh Building inhabited since its construction by The Glasgow School of Art is widely recognised as a work of art in its own right. Through its many years of use the building has developed a unique patina and undergone a number of alterations and additions.
The recent fire and subsequent restoration raises a number of considerations concerning the integrity of the original design, the history of the building and its adaption for future use.
This lecture and panel talk is an opportunity to discuss this ever present dichotomy facing the conservation and restoration of buildings in use drawing on the unique and precious Mackintosh Building as a case study.
Filed under: Art & artists Glasgow West End, Art, Photography, Exhibitions what's on-glasgow, Books, Talks, Poetry and Creative Writing Events, What's On Glasgow West End: cinema, clubs, theatre, music, events, festivals, community and more
- Tony Singh: Glasgow Mela Food Cooking Demo
- Creative Conversations: Homi K Bhabha
- World of International Film Festival 2020
- Creative Thursdays – Jewish Textile Art
- Project-Ability, Virtual Exhibition
- Rocks at Glasgow Film Theatre
- Havana Glasgow Film Festival 2020
- Virtual Glasgow Mela 2020
- GYFF Miss Junetenth GFT
- GYFF: Back to the Future
- Nocturnal GFT
- Sounds in the Suburbs 5th Refuweegee Fundraiser
- Glasgow Museum’s Resource Centre: Glasgow’ Smallest Doors
- Raman Mondair – Choreographies of Dance
- Freddy Anderson – collected poems and prose book release
- The Glasgow Diet – Discussion Event
- Tidelines Book Festival 2020
- You’re Only Young Twice – Digital Doors Open Day 2020
- To Meat or Not to Meat – Climate Action
- From the Studio of Alasdair Gray – Sale Great Western Auctions