Frank Quitely, The Art of Comics, Kelvingrove Art Gallery, 1 April to 1 October, 2017
From Krypton to Kelvingrove and Gotham to Glasgow!
Tickets £7 (£5 concession) Buy tickets online
Frank Quitely is the alter ego of Glasgow born artist Vincent Deighan. Deighan took on the mantle of Frank Quitely in his early career to hide his identity while he drew for the Scottish publication Electric Soup. Now the name Frank Quitely is synonymous with iconic characters such as Superman, Batman and the X-Men. A world renowned artist in hot demand he’s currently finishing off the epic story Jupiter’s Legacy with fellow Scottish comic book legend, writer Mark Millar.
The exhibition at Kelvingrove will be the largest collection of his work ever displayed. You can get up close and personal with the painstaking detail in every iconic frame. There will also be original artwork from titans of the comic book industry such as Frank Millar and Neal Adams as well as an original Batman comic strip by Batman creator Bob Kane. And of course the exhibition wouldn’t be complete without including the strip that inspired it all, The Broons!
The Art of Comics also shows influence and context for this genre from the historical, with the universal structure of the heroic myth and the Scottish tradition of storytelling, through to the modern, with current affairs and technological development.
Alongside the comic art there are digital interactives where you can discover the process of drawing a comic page or create your own superhero costume and get your photo taken with Superman flying overhead!
All in all, this exhibition is sure to excite comic book fans of all ages! So don’t miss this exciting opportunity for a journey from Krypton to Kelvingrove and Gotham to Glasgow!
Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum, Argyle St, Glasgow G3 8AG
- The Greatest Hits, Mental Health Fundraiser
- The Big Talk, Men and Mental Health at The Ice Box
- Befriending Food Experience Celebrate St Andrew’s Day
- Glasgow Hospitals Christmas Concert 2019 Royal Concert Hall
- Book launch: The Light Acknowledgers by Gerry Cambridge
- Telling Invents Told Lis Rhodes
- Winter Fine Art and Antiques Auction, Great Western Auction
- Thomas A Clark: Poet Artist Curator at Creative Converstions
- Charlie Gracie, Donal McLaughlin and Finola Scott CCA
- Artists Moving Image Festival The Tramway
- The Lying King – Glasgow Christmas 2019
- First a Girl, GFT
- Miles Davis: Birth of the Cool GFT
- 2040 at GFT
- Pity Party Film Club I Shot Andy Warhol CCA
- Queer Classics & Matchbox Cineclub City of Lost Souls CCA
- Alan Ereira ALUNA – screening and talk CCA
- Cooking Pot Biting the Hand that Feeds, CCA
- UK Jewish Film Festival 2019 at GFT Glasgow
- Leona GFT