Celebrate Rachel Corrie’s Life with Open Mic and Communal Singing, Glasgow Autonomous Space, Thursday, 16 March, 2017
Celebration of Rachel Corrie’s life on the anniversary of her death.
Rachel Corrie was an American peace activist killed in Gaza in 2003 by Israeli forces whilst she was defending a Palestinian home from demolition. She has become a symbol of hope and solidarity for many, but to me she was a friend and awesome human being taken from us too early because of the ravages of war, borders and racism that kill millions worldwide.
The event will celebrate her life with something she would have loved – building community and celebrating the diversity and richness of Glasgow with songs and performances and sharings from all over the world. In direct opposition to racism and divisions, let us enjoy and celebrate each other’s roots and be an active part of creating a culture that supports and nurtures us all and our dreams and works for a decent ￼world.
Songs from Palestine! Jewish songs of resistance to Nazism and anti zionism! Egyptian compere! Scottish folk! Bring songs, poems, jokes and food to share. Readings from Rachel’s own words. Everyone gently encouraged to participate in a supportive environment.
Doesn’t have to be your own composition – sing/read/perform/or even just tell a joke that tickles you. The important thing is that we come together to relish our diversity and connections.
6-10pm. 16th March. Glasgow Autonomous Space. Near West Street subway.
Check Event on Facebook where the Address will be posted shortly.
Feel free to invite anyone who will appreciate and participate.
Filed under: Books, Talks, Poetry and Creative Writing Events, Events, Fairs, Festivals and Fundraisers, Gig Guide plus Club Events, What's On Glasgow West End: cinema, clubs, theatre, music, events, festivals, community and more
- Fright Fest Glasgow Film Festival Online 2021
- Believe in Scotland Virtual Burns Supper
- A Virtual Burns Night Edinburgh Castle
- Burns Celebration Online Tannahill Centre
- Janey Godley’s Big Burns Supper Online
- Paisley Book Festival 2021 – Online
- Bemis – Celtic Connections in the Community
- Opening Celebration Concert Celtic Connections Online 2021
- Glasgow Film Festival 2021 – Programme Announced
- Creative Conversations: Oyinkan Braithwaite
- Multi-talented and Versatile – Laura Turnbull Fyfe
- Sav Aiello Yoga Savvy Classes
- Online Dance Club LGBTI Plus Elders – National Theatre of Scotland
- Opening Celebration Concert – Celtic Connections 2021 Online
- Announcement Full Programme Celtic Connections Online Festival 2021
- Balloch Open Mic – Vale Lad ‘Done Good’ – again
- Hogmanay Live Event – ‘One singer one song’
- Online End of Year Quiz Night with Duglus T Stewart
- Carlton Studios Crowdfunder Saturdays FB Livestream
- Balloch House Hotel Open Mic (in abeyance)