An Evening With James Kelman Thursday 21 July, 2016, Waterstones Sauchiehall St
An Evening With James Kelman
Thursday 21 July, 7 p.m.
153 – 157 Sauchiuehall Street, G2 3EW
Join us in our basement cafe for an evening with author James Kelman. Tickets are £2 (£1 for Reward Card holders) and can reserved by calling 0141 332 9105 or speaking to a bookseller.
From the Booker Prize-winning James Kelman: a grieving father and son journey to the American South.
‘The truth is he didn’t care how long he was going away. Forever would have suited him. It didn’t matter it was America.’
Murdo, a teenager obsessed with music, wishes for a life beyond the constraints of his Scottish island home and dreams of becoming his own man. Tom, battered by loss, stumbles backwards towards the future, terrified of losing his dignity, his control, his son and the last of his family life. Both are in search of something new as they set out on an expedition into the American South. On the road we discover whether the hopes of youth can conquer the fears of age.
Dirt Road is a major novel exploring the brevity of life, the agonising demands of love and the lure of the open road. It is also a beautiful book about the power of music and all that it can offer. From the understated serenity of Kelman’s prose emerges a devastating emotional power.
James Kelman was shortlisted for the Booker Prize in 1989 with A Disaffection, which also won the James Tait Black Memorial Prize for Fiction. He went on to win the Booker Prize five years later with How Late it Was, How Late, before being shortlisted for the Man Booker International Prize in 2009 and 2011.
- The Lying King – Glasgow Christmas 2019
- First a Girl, GFT
- Miles Davis: Birth of the Cool GFT
- 2040 at GFT
- Pity Party Film Club I Shot Andy Warhol CCA
- Queer Classics & Matchbox Cineclub City of Lost Souls CCA
- Alan Ereira ALUNA – screening and talk CCA
- Cooking Pot Biting the Hand that Feeds, CCA
- UK Jewish Film Festival 2019 at GFT Glasgow
- Leona GFT
- Depeche Mode Spirits in the Forest
- Michael Hutchence: Mystify GFT
- Havana Film Festival 2019
- Project Ability Christmas Show 2019
- Winter Wonderland Christmas Street Party Ashton Lane
- Christmas Tree Light Switch On & Street Market 2019 Glasgow West End
- Mary Irvine: Book Week Scotland 2029 – Events in West Dunbartonshire
- It’s A Wonderful Life Seamore Neighbourhood Cinema Glasgow
- Irish fiddle player Michael Gorman Cd launch and Concert to celebrate his Glasgow connection
- First events announced for Glasgow Film Festival 2020