Claire McFall, Creative Conversations
Creative Conversations University of Glasgow
Monday, 15 October, 2018, 1 p.m. – 2 p.m.
NOVELIST CLAIRE MCFALL
University of Glasgow Memorial Chapel, University of Glasgow, West Quadrangle, Gilbert Scott Building, Glasgow G12 8QQ
Claire McFall’s first book, Ferryman, is a love story which retells the ancient Greek myth of Charon, the ferryman of Hades who transported souls to the Underworld. The novel has been Shortlisted for the Scottish Children’s Book Awards and the Grampian Children’s Book Awards, long-listed for the Branford Boase Award and the UKLA (UK Literary Association) Book Awards, as well as being nominated for the Carnegie Medal. The novel is a best-seller in China, selling just over a million copies since June 2015.
Her second novel, Bombmaker, is a YA dystopian thriller in which the main character Lizzie struggles to survive in a London dominated by gangs and plagued by terrorism. Black Cairn Point, Claire’s third novel, is a paranormal thriller about a camping trip gone wrong. When all of her friends suffer the wrath of a mysterious entity, only Heather is left to take the blame. Black Cairn Point won the first Scottish Teenage Book Prize.
As part of the on-going Creative Conversation speaker series, novelist Claire McFall comes to campus to chat about her writing. Bring your lunch and burning questions!
Sponsored by the Ferguson Bequest and programmed by Creative Writing at University of Glasgow.
- Rod Picott The Admiral Bar
- Opening GYFF Gala: The Farewell (PG)
- Something Fishy Clydebuilt Festival 2019
- The Wedding Planner, OranMor
- An Evening with Women at the Carlton Studios
- Clydebuilt Festival 2019
- Wullie Davidson’s Bus Pass Ramblings: St Andrews
- Glasgow Youth Film Festival 2019
- For Sama GFT
- Drag Kids, GFT Glasgow Youth Film Festival
- Code Geass: Lelouch of the Re;Surrection GFT
- Iain Matthews at The Doublet Bar
- Tannahill Arts Festival Paisley
- Cleek the movie – Tannahill Arts Festival
- Adam Sutherland Tales ‘n’ Tunes Old Hairdressers
- The Glasgow Guild Talks 2019
- Ando Glaso Gypsy Music Short Course CCA
- Doghouse Roses & Dumb Instrument CCA
- Take One Action Film Festival 2019 CCA
- Women’s Support Project – Abused: The Untold Story, GFT