Celtic Connections, Sync of the Times review and photographs, Pauline Keightley
Opening Concert Celtic Connections 2019 Syne of the Times
The Celtic Connections opening night Sync of the Times was a rousing concert with over a hundred young musicians on stage in celebration of the passing of traditions between the generations. They enjoyed a memorable experience performing f Gaelic music alongside some of Scotland’s most celebrated folk musicians.
This concert began with a moving film by a young musician, from the Isle of Grimsay, about his grandfather and his hope that the traditions would be passed on through the generations by preserving and celebrating heritage and culture through Gaelic music.
We were then treated to music by the Celtic Galician folk orchestra Son De Seu. This year Celtic Connections festival is paired with the small Celtic country of Galicia. Also performing were the Orkney youth musicians, HadHirgaan and the young musicians from the 5 Feisean, (Fèisean nan Gàidhealthe supports the development of community-based Gaelic arts tuition festivals throughout Scotland).
The evening’s entertainment was led by musical director and fiddler Duncan Chisholm. Also appearing were Gaelic singer Julie Fowlis, fiddler Lauren MacColl, folk band Daimh, fiddler Aiden O”Rourke, piper Brighde Chaumbeu, and Donald Shaw (festival director) and his ‘Harvest’ music.
.What a first class experience for the young musician – I hope they were inspired by performing at Celtic Connections 2019 memorable opening concert
Review and Photos by Pauline Keightley – https://pkimage.co.uk
This section: Celtic Connections 2019, Pauline Keightley, Photography
- Celtic Connections 2020: This Is Caledonian Soul review by Pauline Keightley
- Coastal Connections Festival 2020 review and photography by Pauline Keightley
- Jim’s Photo Diary May 2019: Glasgow Green, People’s Palace Fountain, Glasgow Art Fair, Balcony Photos
- Jim’s Photo Diary: April 2019: People’s Palace, Cast Iron, Victorian Lights, Glass House
- Transatlantic Sessions Celtic Connections 2019 review and photography by Pauline Keightley
- New Traditions: Talisk, Vishtèn and Xabier Diaz at Celtic Connections 2019
- Celtic Connections: Lizzie Reid at King Tut’s
- Celtic Connections Grace and Danger, Tribute to John Martyn photographs and review by Pauline Keightley
- Kathleen Macinnes at Celtic Connections photos and review by Pauline Keightley
- Celtic Connections: Carla J Easton and Mark McGowan, OranMor
- Celtic Connections, Sync of the Times review and photographs, Pauline Keightley
- Curtain Set to Rise on Celtic Connections 2019
- Fiskur and Lizzie Reid, King Tuts
- A Wee Exhibition, Photography, Old Hairdressers
- Photography Gallery August 2018; Jim’s West End: Kelvinbridge, Clatty Pats, An Clachan Cafe, Euro 2018, Glasgow University
- Photo Gallery July 2018; Jim’s diary: Bowling, big boat, Euro 2018 Cycle Road Race, Glasgow University Ceiling Vault, Old Scottish Postbox, Unicorn
- Photography Gallery June 2018, Jim’s Diary: Glenlee Tall Ship, Francesca Waddell fashion illustrator, GFT Cosmo Cafe, Ruthven Lane, Wellington Church
- Transatlantic Sessions Celtic Connections 2018 photographs and review by Pauline Keightley
- Dick Gaughan Tribute Concert at Celtic Connections 2018 – photography and review Pauline Keightley
- Blue Rose Code at Celtic Connections 2018 photos and review Pauline Keightley