Call for Young Programmers for 10th Anniversary of Glasgow Youth Film Festival
Applications are now open for young people aged 15-19 to become GYFF Young Programmers for Glasgow Youth Film Festival’s 10th Anniversary edition, which returns from 14 – 16 September 2018. Programmed by young people, Glasgow Youth Film Festival (GYFF) is one of the most innovative youth film festivals in Europe, annually presenting an outstanding range of international films and creative workshops with industry professionals. This year GYFF is proud to be supported by the Year of Young People 2018 event fund, managed by Event Scotland, part of VisitScotland’s Events Directorate.
2018 is Scotland’s first ever Year of Young People, celebrating young people’s talents, contributions and creating new opportunities across Scotland for them to shine. The Year of Young People 2018 is a programme of events and activities that will give them the opportunity to show the world what they are made of. GYFF is on the hunt for 15-19 year olds with a passion for film, to become GYFF Young Programmers and help make the 2018 festival the biggest and best yet.
GYFF Young Programmers will take part in a summer school working closely with the team behind GFT and Glasgow Film Festival to put together an exciting film festival for their peers. Previous guests at GYFF have included Hollywood star John C. Reilly and the cast of Channel 4 smash hit Fresh Meat. In 2017, the team turned iconic Glasgow venue Mackintosh Queens Cross Church into Wes Anderson’s Camp Ivanhoe for the Closing Gala screening of modern classic Moonrise Kingdom.
Erin Michael, GYFF 2017 Young Programmer, said: “Glasgow Youth Film Festival is a unique experience for any young person. To have the opportunity to watch films you would never watch on your own, and then decide the festival programme, is amazing. It is such a great opportunity to get your foot in the industry and see how it works!”
Paul Bush OBE, VisitScotland’s Director of Events, said: ”Young people’s ideas and creativity have been playing a central role at Glasgow Youth Film Festival for 9 years, adding to Scotland’s position as the perfect stage for events with festival programmes going from strength to strength. We are delighted to be supporting the festival’s 10th Anniversary edition in celebration of the Year of Young People and applaud the organisers’ continued commitment to giving them the opportunity to be the driving force of such a fantastic event.”
Find out what goes on behind the scenes at a world-leading film festival, have your say on the best cult classics and new releases to screen, and let your imagination run wild in creating innovative pop-up cinema events – applications to become a Young Programmer for 2018 are now open!
Prefer to be filmmaking rather than programming? GYFF is calling upon the most creative young filmmakers that want to see their film on the big screen. GYFF 2018 will feature a special programme of shorts, curated by GYFF Young Programmers. Any short films (under 40 min) by filmmakers between the ages of 15 and 25 are eligible.
To apply to become a Young Programmer for 2018 or to find out more information please visit glasgowfilm.org/gyff
If you have a film that you would like to be considered, send to email@example.com with the subject line ‘GYFF Shorts Competition’
This section: Cinema, Kids and young people
- Yer Old Faither review by Pat Byrne
- Spring Blossom Glasgow Film Festival 2021
- Wildland Glasgow Film Festival Online review Pat Byrne
- Yer Old Faither, Glasgow Film Festival Online
- Minari at GFF21 – review by Pat Byrne
- More premieres and guests announced for Glasgow Film Festival 2021
- Glasgow Film Festival 2021 Truman and Tennessee
- GFT – Away
- Baby Done, GFT at Home
- Vivian French and The Giant’s Tea Party
- Winter Art Club for Kids – Paper Bag Portraits
- Spring Blossom, Glasgow Film Festival 2021 Online
- Sweetheart, Glasgow Film Festival 2021 Online
- Jumbo, Glasgow Film Festival Online 2021
- Preparations To Be Together, Glasgow Film Festival Online
- Rosa’s Wedding, Glasgow Film Festival 2021 Online
- Glasgow Film Festival 2021 Industry Focus Progamme
- James McAvoy Edinburgh Youth Theatre – Masterclass
- GFT – Film resources for primary school children at home
- Film Festival Institut Francais