Aye Write: Ian Brown: ‘Whaur’s your Wullie Shakespeare noo?’ 7th April, 6 p.m.
Ian Brown: ‘Whaur’s your Wullie Shakespeare noo?’
7 Apr 2014 • 6:00 P.M – 7:00 P.M • Mitchell Library, North Street, Charing Cross
Ian Brown delves into the rich and diverse history of Scottish theatre from agitprop to pantomime and more.
Although there are many great Scottish playwrights working at present, from Liz Lochhead to David Harrower, it has been a cliché that Scottish writers have been underwhelming in drama – best summed up by the shout “Whaur’s your Wullie Shakespeare noo?” at the premiere of the forgotten play, Douglas. But, as Ian Brown shows, it is a cliché – the history of Scottish theatre is surprisingly rich and diverse, from agitprop to pantomime and more.
Ian Brown is a playwright, poet and Professor in Drama and Dance at Kingston University, London. He was previously Arts Council of Great Britain Drama Director, Professor of Drama and Dean of Arts at Queen Margaret University, Edinburgh. and President and Chair of the Association for Scottish Literary Studies.
Tickets: £8 plus booking fee
Or buy tickets from our box office on 0141 353 8000
- International Women’s Day – #EachforEqual: What Difference Does a Decade Make?
- Roots Festival – An Evening with Wullie, George and Friends
- Poor Wurld by Jim Ferguson – Book Launch Party
- Evening of Stories and Songs with Kirstin Innes and Outi Smith
- Aye Write 2020: Memoirs and Confessions – Justified Sinners Speakeasy
- Books at the Botanics
- Creative Conversations: Niall O’Gallagher
- It’s Time To Talk About Mental Health – Part Two
- Aye Write:Claudia Hammond, The Art of Rest
- Aye Write: Andrew Greig and Chris Agee
- Paisley Book Festival: Jenny’s Well Press presents: Writers and Rebellion
- Aye Write: Stewart Ennis and Okechuwu Nzelu
- Rootsy Rammy
- The Muse at the Playhouse with Linda Jaxson
- More Than Words – Poetry Night with Imogen Stirling
- Lin Anderson at Weegie Wednesday
- Campire Club Rousing Rebels, Paisley
- Paisley Book Festival: Opening Night: Radical Renfrewshire
- What’s This Script with Jenny Lindsay, Paisley Book Festival
- Poets in the Library – Paisley Book Festival